2001 missfire problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

2001 missfire problem

OK I've seen a few post on this but can't find them.

I have the 2001 xj with the fire rail apposed to plug wires. well my check motor light came on so I take it to autozone and the guy ask if it's a 4 banger or 6 I said 6 he then showed me I had a missfire on atleast 4 of the 6 then it said random after that. so odds are all 6 are fed up. or could it just be the rail. how much does the rail cost. I have a 2000 xj cd and can't find the part # for it. the 2000 and 01 have the same setup so I thought I would be able to find it on that.

the plugs are the stock plugs what should the gap space on them be. I'm going to go try and pop that rail off check all the plugs then try it again. then if I have to I'll replace the rail. I'm hoping it's just the plugs cause I'm broke as hell right now.

any help or ideas on any of whats above would be great.

2001 60th Anniversary sport silverstone. Mopar brush guard. Mopar gastank skid. Rusty's Air tube, K&N filter R.E. 6130 4.5 superflex. HD trackbar & bracket OME longtravel shocks 1 3/4 frount spacers and the hack-n-tap RE SYE kit with JKS discos. 32"BFG AT Ko's firegod rockrails. going up to 5.5 and 33s soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you have more than about 45,000 miles on those plugs, you need to replace them. On my '96 the gap is somewhere arond .035". HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you light a fire for a man you'll keep him warm for a day, but if you light a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life!

I ♥ Transitive Pictograph Verbalizations
post #3 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 02:03 PM
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

This is off topic, but do you happen to know where Hanna, WY is? I'm working out of there right now. At least for the next couple of weeks. I drove right by Evans last week on my way up here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you light a fire for a man you'll keep him warm for a day, but if you light a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life!

post #4 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

my light came on right around 48,000 miles. I'm going to head out and pic up some new ones and change them out today. thanks for the gap info.

heard of hanna never been there or if I have I wouldn't have known it. There are a ton of small towns up there in WY. Don't head up there much. not much 4wheeling or anything. They have some good fishing holes thats about it. What are you doing up there for work that is.

2001 60th Anniversary sport silverstone. Mopar brush guard. Mopar gastank skid. Rusty's Air tube, K&N filter R.E. 6130 4.5 superflex. HD trackbar & bracket OME longtravel shocks 1 3/4 frount spacers and the hack-n-tap RE SYE kit with JKS discos. 32"BFG AT Ko's firegod rockrails. going up to 5.5 and 33s soon.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

Plugs

what Kind of replacement plugs are you guys using.

post #6 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 02:51 PM
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

On the gap info, I think that is correct, but when you get the plugs the parts guy should be able to tell you what the gap should be. Yours might be a bigger gap with the diffeerent ignition system.

I am a mud logger. I basically look at cuttings coming from an oil or gas well as it's being drilled, analyze the sample, and record all pertinent data about the cuttings. Fun stuff. I've been driving on snow since last Friday, and let me tell you, it's some kind of different than TX where I'm from and we get no snow to speak of.

post #7 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

cool thanks ya the snow can make anything a pain in the A$$ even the simple things like getting your mail or garbage day. wow so do you drive your own rigs to the sites or are you on a company rig. PM me sometime on your way back through if you guys stop in greeley evans area I'm like 2 min off hy 85

post #8 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 03:08 PM
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'd love to stop, but when I'm on my way back to TX I have to make it in 1.5 days. That means I leave here, drive like he!!, stop at some god awful houur of the night, and finish the trip the next day.

We drive our own trucks. My work truck is a 4x4 F-150. The Jeep is sitting in the garage at home waiting on me. :-)

post #9 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

anyone else with what kind of plugs they like to use.

post #10 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 04:56 PM
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I know I'm not "another" but I'll tell you anyway. Personally I have had nothing but success with Champion plugs. They are cheap and they wear well. One I would recommend NOT buying are the splitfire plugs. Don't do too good of a job.

post #11 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Ghetto2315

2001 TJ Wrangler 

2000-2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
ROUGH IDLE / MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1801301 - ROUGH IDLE AT COLD TEMPERATURES
Date: 06/11/01
Model Year(s): 2000

Description: Some vehicle engines may exhibit a rough idle and / or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) light on condition upon initial start-up after a cold soak when temperatures are below 50 degrees F (10 degrees c). This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (Cal level 00Cal15C).

1801001 - ROUGH IDLE AT COLD TEMPERATURES
Date: 04/20/01
Model year(s): 2001

Description: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L (ERH) ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO APRIL 30, 2001 AND CALIBRATION LEVEL PRIOR TO (LESS OR LOWER THAN) THOSE LISTED IN THE OVERVIEW ABOVE. This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (WJ/TJ — calibration level 01Cal14C, XJ — calibration level 15B.)

Details: Some vehicle engines may exhibit a rough idle and/or MIL light “on” condition upon initial start-up after a cold soak when temperatures are below 50°F (10°C).

0900303 - 4.0L MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
Date: 08/01/03
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE. This bulletin involves inspection of all engine exhaust valves and a decarbonizing procedure if necessary.

Details: The customer may experience an incident of engine misfire during certain vehicle operating conditions. The misfire may occur when the vehicle is operated between 50 - 70 MPH and under light loading conditions, e.g. slight uphill road grades. This condition may occur at all ambient conditions, but is more noticeable when ambient conditions are less than 0 C (32 F).

If the vehicle is equipped with On-Board Diagnostic (OBD), a MIL illumination may also have occurred due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Various single cylinder misfire DTC’s may also be present. If the frequency of misfire is high the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may place the engine in “Limp-In” mode.

The misfire condition may be caused by one or more engine exhaust valves that are slow to close. Late closure of an exhaust valve may be the result of no valve rotation and associated build up of carbon on the exhaust valve stem.

This condition may occur when the engine is not allowed to run at engine RPM’s that are greater than 3,200 RPM. At 3,200 RPM or higher the engine exhaust valves will rotate if not impeded by high carbon deposits. Low engine RPM’s and high carbon deposits are associated with short trip driving where the vehicle engine is not allowed to fully warm to normal engine operating temperatures. Cold ambient temperatures will increase engine warm-up time and add to the opportunity of carbon deposit build-up on the stem of the engine exhaust valve.

1803103 - 4.0L ROUGH ENGINE IDLE AFTER RESTART FOLLOWING A HOT SOAK
Date: 09/05/03 (supercedes 1802702 dated 09/06/02)

Description: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine. This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

Details: Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:
56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

Repair procedure:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length. See diagram.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver’s side of vehicle).

2001 TJ SAHARA - STONE WHITE - 4.0L - 5MT
( ) |||||||| ( )

post #12 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

thanks ghetto this is the one that my jeep does from time to time

Description: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine. This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

Details: Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:

Repair procedure:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length. See diagram.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver’s side of vehicle).

well I got some bosch platinums and I'm out to install them now see how that goes. I hope that solves it cause autozone said 100bucks on there system and I'm sure the dealer it's going to be more. then they will want to stick me with labor and all that.

thanks.

I've heard some good reviews on the champions but they only had 5 and I need to get this done today.

post #13 of 22 Old 03-03-2004, 10:38 PM
CHEROKEEMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg4
thanks ghetto this is the one that my jeep does from time to time

Parts required:

Repair procedure:

well I got some bosch platinums and I'm out to install them now see how that goes. I hope that solves it cause autozone said 100bucks on there system and I'm sure the dealer it's going to be more. then they will want to stick me with labor and all that.

thanks.

I've heard some good reviews on the champions but they only had 5 and I need to get this done today.

Yeah, I experienced that same problem last month.. My 2000 XJ had about 45,000 miles on it. I was parked in my jeep on a very cold winter day for about 25 minutes. It was cold so i had the heat on and the check engine light came on sudddenly. I took it to the dealer they told me I needed a fuel injector sleeve and new plugs. The process isnt difficult, but cost me a pretty penny. The parts are cheap.. 6 champion plugs and the sleeves... about 70 bucks tops. but they charged me 230 cuz of labor and dealer prices. Its a process i know how to do, but didnt have the time. But the jeep is fine.. Its not a big problem and can be easily fixed.

2000 XJ

Kngeneration 2 intake
Gibson Exhuast
Banks Headers
Jet Stage 2
Clear corners
Xenarc HIDS
Streetglow interior and underbody neons
Brushed aluminum interior
Custom 2 tone leather interior with piping
Pioneer head unit
Kenwood Components
Dynomat all around
Viper 791xv pager alarm
Tints
Tow hooks
Billet Grille
Superwhite bulbs
Edelbrock IAS shocks
Addco Sway Bars
post #14 of 22 Old 03-04-2004, 01:49 AM
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just FYI,

I just changed my plugs today with Champion Truck Plugs. I've had the factory Champions in since the XJ was new (now 50,000 miles) so I figured I better change them. The gap is supposed to be .035 and thats what the Champion Truck Plugs are out of the box. Upon inspection of my old plugs, some of them had a gap of up to .045 due to corrosion. I'm hoping the new plugs will make a noticeable difference in gas mileage, but irregardless they needed to be changed anyways.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -

post #15 of 22 Old 03-04-2004, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
jdogg4

Cool thanks for the info I just got the plugs changed what a pain for that front plug with the ac unit there. O and that coil rail system they use on the 2000 and 01 sucks. if it goes out its 100 bucks. I have to go back out and put that back on and hook up the battery and see what happens I'll keep you updated with the dramma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.