2001 jeep cherokee tow light wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 jeep cherokee tow light wiring

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Maltesian

2001 jeep cherokee tow light wiring

Ive got a 2001 sport that already had a hitch and 6 blade wiring adapter installed on it for the tow light hook up. It is a 6 blade adapter to a 4 pin normal trailer wire. This was already on it and I am trying to replace it as it was completely corroded and no longer functioned.

So I went out and got a replacement one with adapter and housing. It is the Hopkins one.

This has turned into more then I thought and now its causing me to blow the #7 tail light fuse if its not hooked up properly. So its either hook it up right or not use it at all.

here is my issue, there are 4 wires that were originally there on the original 6 blade wiring adapter already on the jeep and the hitch when i got it. They are Green, White, Yellow, and Brown.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the order those 4 wires go into the 6 blade adapter. I even have a light thing to tell me if there all good as it should light up. The most frustrating part of all is there is even worded color coding on the 6 blade adapter, so you would think that the corresponding colors of the already there wires, would just screw/attach to them, but only 3 of them are there actually there. The White, Green, and Brown wires have corresponding areas to attach to, the yellow does not.

Even then the order seems to be of a random/guess to get all the lights to light up.

Anyone have any help on this? this is beyond stupid and I never thought this would be so complicated. If anything, is there something that I can get to say hell with the 6 blade one? I dont even know how it was on there in the first place if its this much trouble to get a replacement on.

The old one was way to corroded to make any sense of the original wiring.

All I am trying to do was replace what is already there, but the wiring is ****ed up and pissing me off at this point.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Maltesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Are you using a trailer plug wiring schematic?
I got a little confused once in looking at a schematic and wired the back of the plug to match of picture of the front, which resulting it being wired backwards until I figured out what was going on.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Maltesian

Funny how I did the same thing, I looked at that same pic when I first got it and tried it but did the same thing.

So now I followed it correctly by putting the white on the white, the yellow on the red, the green on the brown, and the brown on the green. Everything works now. Thanks for the help and sorry for my ignorance.
Maltesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

On mine, the input colors are:
Green - right turn
Yellow - left turn
Brown - running lights
Red - stop light
Black - 12v
White - ground
The outputs are:
Yellow - left turn
Green - right turn
Brown - running lights AND stop
White - ground
The red and the black don't "output".
This system takes the separate stop and turn signals on the Jeep and combines them into the single system used on most trailers and older cars.
Don't assume the previous owner wired it correctly. Use your volt meter or test lamp to prove your input wires are what they are supposed to be.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oops - just reread and saw you solved your own problem. Sorry...
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesian View Post
Funny how I did the same thing, I looked at that same pic when I first got it and tried it but did the same thing.

So now I followed it correctly by putting the white on the white, the yellow on the red, the green on the brown, and the brown on the green. Everything works now. Thanks for the help and sorry for my ignorance.
Glad we could help.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.