2001 Cherokee Sport spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 Cherokee Sport spark plugs

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
archygyrl

2001 Cherokee Sport spark plugs

Quick question...

I've had my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport since last August and have had to replace my spark plugs 3 times due to misfires. Has anyone had a similar problem with theirs? Is there a larger problem that I need to be worrying about that the diagnostic checks are not catching?

Someone please help...

Thanks

archygyrl

archygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
ChiTown'01XJ

Try replacing the coil pack. You should be able to find a mopar one for around $50-75 from a dealer or parts store.
[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #73[/COLOR]
'01 XJ Sport

235/75/15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO, C4X4 tow hooks, rear hitch, 2 x 55 Bosch Lights, Cobra 19+ (waiting on antenna)

[B]"Let's do it in the dirt"[/B]
ChiTown'01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
archygyrl

Thanks a lot!

I'll try that out next payday.

Have a great day!

Unread 06-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
anony91xj

What plugs are you using? You should only be using Champion Truck Plugs. If you're using anything else, you're going to have misfires.

Also be careful not to dink a plug when putting it in and close the gap, this can cause misfire codes and a stumble at idle.
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Jenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony91xj
What plugs are you using? You should only be using Champion Truck Plugs. If you're using anything else, you're going to have misfires.

Also be careful not to dink a plug when putting it in and close the gap, this can cause misfire codes and a stumble at idle.
You know I hear that a lot. But when my pepboys didn't have the any cheap plugs in stock I got the $5 a piece non gapable deals and I have to say my Jeep runs better than it did. I guess ever Truck is different.
1" Transfer Case Drop, Iron Man Adjustable LCA's
RE Adjustable Trac Bar, Rusty's Adjustable UCA's
31" Uniroyal AT
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
wipedawg

i have autolite single platinum tip and they work better than the champion plugs i used before.

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
ChiTown'01XJ

I've put about 30,000 miles on Bosch II platinums and jus until recently haven't had any problems. I'm probably going to switch over to something else when I change them next.
[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #73[/COLOR]
'01 XJ Sport

235/75/15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO, C4X4 tow hooks, rear hitch, 2 x 55 Bosch Lights, Cobra 19+ (waiting on antenna)

[B]"Let's do it in the dirt"[/B]
ChiTown'01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
You should only be using Champion Truck Plugs. If you're using anything else, you're going to have misfires.

Really? Tell us, how exactly does a spark plug know whether it's in a truck or not?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 05:09 AM   #9
anony91xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007
Really? Tell us, how exactly does a spark plug know whether it's in a truck or not?
"Truck Plug" just the name on the plug.

All I can tell you is from experience. Countless times I've seen cars (Jeeps and others) come in with misfires due simply to the wrong spark plugs. Jeep's 4.0 is one of the more common ones, seems to only like the Champion plugs. If you don't believe me, ask any Jeep/Dodge technician.

There are other examples out there as well. Nissan's 3.3 comes to mind, as it requires NGK Platinum's and will misfire on AutoLites.
Unread 06-29-2005, 07:21 AM   #10
archygyrl

Quote:

I'll check what kind they used. If it keeps happening I'll just replace them all and the coil pack and see how it goes. I was just worried that there was something going seriously wrong that I just wasn't seeing.

Thanks a lot!
Unread 06-29-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running the "Truck Plugs" because of reccommendations that I got from people on the forum. I have to say, that the Jeep ran better with the Bosch Platinum spark plugs. The wonderous Champion Truck Plug has been a big let down.
Unread 06-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
archygyrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
I'm running the "Truck Plugs" because of reccommendations that I got from people on the forum. I have to say, that the Jeep ran better with the Bosch Platinum spark plugs. The wonderous Champion Truck Plug has been a big let down.
Did you get misfires with the Champion Truck plugs?
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've certainly had good luck with the plain Champion plugs recommend on the sticker under the hood. I don't know if they are 'truck' plugs or not but have 108,000 miles, on my third set (changed factory ones at 35,000, then next seat at 90,000 miles) and no missfires or poor idle. Is that ignition coil bar $50 - $75, has anyone bought one yet, if so how many miles did you get out of it?
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
SS01XJ

[QUOTE=archygyrl]Quick question...

I've had my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport since last August and have had to replace my spark plugs 3 times due to misfires. Has anyone had a similar problem with theirs? Is there a larger problem that I need to be worrying about that the diagnostic checks are not catching?

You didn't mention when the misfires are occuring. The later year 4.0 engines have had a misfire problem during hot restarts. This kind of misfire is caused by the injectors absorbing the engine heat and causing a vapor lock in the injector, most often in injector no. 3. If this sounds like your symptoms, there is a fix that involves putting a shield around the injector to insulate it from the engine heat.

HTH.............Stan
SS01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by archygyrl
Did you get misfires with the Champion Truck plugs?
No misfires, but it has noticably less get up than it did with the Bosch plugs, which also caused no misfires. I have a lot of MSD equipment, so i could use any plugs and get no misfire. I've just always used Bosch Platinums in all of my vehicles for the extra couple of horses and never had a problem with them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.