2001 Cherokee Sport- new battery wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 Cherokee Sport- new battery wont start

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2001 Cherokee Sport- new battery wont start

hey JeepFreaks...
this morning my 01 Cherokee wouldnt start...you could hear the very last of the battery draining and then all i heard was a constant clicking as i was trying to start the ole truck. ok, i figured battery was finally dead. so, i rolled out bought a new Interstate battery, hooked her up, and now when i try to start up the truck- nothing. no turning over, not even the clicking i was hearing before. lights on the dash light up but that is it.

please someone tell me what need to do. i am pretty handy and do most work on my jeeps (two wranglers, one cherokee) but i truly have no idea where to start with this cherokee not firing up.

any help is greatly appreciated!!

OIIIIIO
Roman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
silver60th
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm. Bad starter possibly? Bad ground?

I say check the new battery with a voltmeter, but you said your interiors come on.
Is the new battery a stock size? I have seen upgraded batteries (taller) touch the posts on the hood whenever it is closed.

And I know it seems pretty basic, but clean the battery cables with a wire brush. It may help.
silver60th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks. battery fits fine...the cables had some minor corrosion buildup from the previous battery but nothing crazy. think it could be the starter?

OIIIIIO
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

x2 ^^^^^ my bet is on bad cables or conn.

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

this is great.....thanks a million. hate to be a noob but can you tell me where i can find a wiring diagram so i can easily identify the correct cables and wires that are mentioned in the above post? i cant tell you how much i appreciate your help!! thanks man...

OIIIIIO
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just follow the actual wires from the battery, alternator, and starter. Check the ground wire that is on the back of the engine and goes to the firewall.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

No wiring diagram needed to get started. I would start your focus on both battery cables on both ends. Use a commercial battery post cleaner or some steel wool, sandpaper, etc. and work those connections over until shiny. You can't tell by looking at them. And don't forget grounds.

Basic thing but you're sure the new Interstate battery you bought is fully charged?

If the engine was "cranking/turning over" before you put the battery in, this really sounds like a connection of possibly a ground issue.

If above checks out, I would get a multimeter and put it directly on the starter itself. With the key in the ON position, you should have approx. the same voltage as you have at the battery. If you don't, you need to start working your way back into the engine bay to find out why.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah the interstate battery was fully charged. bought brand new at tire place up the street. i cleaned the battery cables with baking soda/water mixture and used a brush.

i also did a check of the wires but i have to be honest....i am lost under the hood of a cherokee. wrangler is a little easier to navigate around under the hood. anyway, i checked wires etc and didnt see anything that caught my eye but that aint sayin much. the ground wire is fine- still connected to the fire wall and the connection the negative wire is secure.

i turned the key but still nothing- dash lights etc come on but no clicking pr anything from the engine. dammit.

looks i will be gettin this thing towed to the gas station down the road. ugh. i really appreciate the help everyone.

OIIIIIO
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
steveedogg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it could be your neutral switch, sounds like what happened to me
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Riley/MN
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveedogg View Post
it could be your neutral switch, sounds like what happened to me
Been there... You could try a different relay to see if it makes a difference.
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
Riley/MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok, so get this: i get home after runnin around in my wrangler for a while. i, again, try to start the Cherokee, with no luck. there was some weird electrical stuff going on after i turned the key all the way to start the engine....weird meaning- the chime was continuing to ring, the hazard lights were flashing, the lights that illuminate the dash were flashing on and off, and the stereo clock was flashing off and on. this happened before as well but i paid no mind. anyway the only way earlier in the day to make the "electrical" orchestra go away was to take the negative battery cable off the battery. but this time, i simply pushed the "unlock" button on the remote of my alarm keychain that came with the cherokee and the electrical storm stopped. then i turned the key to start up the engine....and VOILA. it started up. ok, ummm, WTF??? i was thrown for a loop.....and still am. i have no idea what the hell happened.

if anyone out there thinks they can explain what happened, please feel free. i am still going to get the truck a once over at my shop i always take it to, but i can not for the life of me figure this one out.

but at least my rig is runnin....

OIIIIIO
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
StevenXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I've never heard of that happening before haha.
StevenXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

only thing i can figure is that it has something to do with the automatic lock and unlock system....there has got to be a bug or somethin in the electrical system. what i will most likely do is just remove the fuse for the auto lock function. i wont be able to use my cherokee keychain anymore to lock her up and unlock her but what else can i do.

OIIIIIO
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
StevenXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I guess you can do that. You should just check all of the fuses though.
StevenXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.