2001 cherokee sport engine replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 cherokee sport engine replacement

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
faering
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001 cherokee sport engine replacement

Hey everybody,
I'm about to embark on an engine replacement for my beloved 2001 Cherokee Sport (409,000 happy miles). I'm going with the ATK engine (4.0 in-line 6). I do all the work I can on the car (brakes, water pump, radiator, alternator, etc), but have never done an engine swap. I'm not doing this to be overly-ambitious or cocky...I'm a (temporarily?) unemployed teacher and I HAVE to do this myself. My question is, does anyone know of a link or another source for a step by step guide for this, just to be sure I cover all the bases? I just bought the Daimler-Chrysler manual for the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

faering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
zeaman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly, the answer is no. There is no total complete set of instructions that I know of, I did my 99 two years ago and I had to piece together about 4 different tutorials to get anywhere. I would suggest just taking a lot of pictures as you take it apart for reference. Everything is pretty easy until you have to seperate the engine from the transmission. The flex plat bolts arent bad, the but reverse torx bolts holding the tranny on are so squished under the firewall, you almost have to take your front motor mounts out first. Other than that, its kind of fun. Just get the engine down to the block and be VERY careful when taking all of those little black plugs off on the wiring harness. Good luck!
zeaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
loztoree
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped the motor in my 97 just a couple months ago. Hubby & I tackled it from start to finish in about 21 hours. No repair manual either. Best advice I have....get a good supply of plastic cups to keep track of all the bolts, nuts, screws, etc & label them with a sharpie as you disassemble the motor. And take pix to refer back to.

Hardest bolts were the 2 reverse torx on the top of the tranny at the firewall. There is almost NO room to get to them.

Good luck!
loztoree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The FSM covers the R&R of an engine in it's entirety. However, you will need either (1) a very good memory, or (2) take pictures as you go, and separate and label fasteners and other parts into small containers.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

400k on the original engine? Nice! Why are you swapping it out? Also - are you going to be swapping the trans too?
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
faering
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's using water to the tune of a half-gallon per day, but no visible leaks (blown head gasket?). Turkey gravy under the valve cover last July, although the last 2 oil changes since then (2,000 mile intervals), the used oil has looked fairly normal. Also, recent lifter noise has become quite loud. I guess I figured it doesn't make sense to do half a re-build. The transmission has no issues.
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The head is cracked ... 2000s like to crack heads (symptoms of a bad head gasket).
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
faering
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Finally getting around to this job. Have everything stripped down to the block. How do I get at the two bolts at the top of the tranny? And..what exactly does "reverse torx" mean. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.