2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0 I6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0 I6

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0 I6

Hey all, I just took a 2001 Cherokee Sport for a test spin and looked it over but I had some questions about what I saw. It has 121k+ on the ticker and runs/idles well and is completely stock - never been wheeled. There was some sludgy build up just inside the oil fill cap. Has a check engine light that stays on (he was told it has to do with the battery outside temp sensor?). Has to have coolant added every week or two and he doesn't have anything in the oil, doesn't cook off white smoke from the exhaust - he doesn't know where the coolant goes he just knows it goes away. I'm not as familiar with lookin under a rig with 121+K miles (although I ran an S-10 to around 135k and it was pretty clean underneath) so the grimy, greasy build up by the pinion on rear diff and leaky, seapy under the motor seems bad to me - but for all I know it is just what happens.

He's asking $2900 OBO and I said 2500 pending a second set of eyes on it. I know it's a machine and machines are somewhat unpredictable but I was just wanting to pick poeples brains to see if they recognize any red flags. My intentions for this rig would be a streetable trail rig (mostly a toy) that I would build up for wheelin. I just don't wanna sink a couple g's on a Jeep that is gonna blow up or cost me $'s mechanically before I can "build" it.

Any thoughts?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Only red flag for me is the loss of coolant from an unknown location. The 2000 and 2001 XJ's have the 0331 head, many of which have a cracking issue if they are ever overheated. This would be my main concern.

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2500 isn't bad for a newer XJ like that. The issues you mention worry me, but the price is well below what I would think a 2001 would go for. With that said, that might be a huge sign of a underlying problem. Or you found yourself a good deal. I know I am not really giving you an answer here. Sorry, but I would have to see the Jeep in question personally before I could really speak one way or the other.

2001 XJ 3" Rusty's aal, 31x10.5 Good Year Authorities Powertrax No slip Locker in the rear
nicexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
2000dd
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take it for another test drive. If oil pressure drops when its warmed up, feel confident it had the cracked head. It will drop very low at idle, after reaching full temp.

Last edited by 2000dd; 05-31-2012 at 04:58 PM..
2000dd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.