2001 Cherokee Sport # 3 misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 Cherokee Sport # 3 misfire

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
missjeepgal
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001 Cherokee Sport # 3 misfire

My engine light came on yesterday so I took it to Autozone and they checked the computer and it showed # 3 misfire. Also, since this has happened my turn signals are not working correctly. When I turn them on they will work for about 5 seconds and then just "go out". If I turn the signal off and then back on the same thing happens. Could these two problems be connected? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

missjeepgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjeepgal View Post
My engine light came on yesterday so I took it to Autozone and they checked the computer and it showed # 3 misfire. Also, since this has happened my turn signals are not working correctly. When I turn them on they will work for about 5 seconds and then just "go out". If I turn the signal off and then back on the same thing happens. Could these two problems be connected? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Well, I would check the obvious first, and that is spark plugs, replace if you have done so in a while, and make sure you double check the gap. for the blinkers my 98 gets a lil squirley if I try to use the 4 way flashers, but mine seems to be a bad connection in the column. I would check you blinker in yours first, that would seem to be the most logical issue. I hope this helps a lil....
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey just did a thread search, adn I knew this was a familiar code, here is the logical issue on your year..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/p...isfire-394071/
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

There is a little heat sheild that you canget at the dealer to fix the misfire. It isn't connected to the turn signal problem though. The multi-function switch, which works the turn signals may be bad.IDK
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
missjeepgal
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNUTTIER View Post
Well, I would check the obvious first, and that is spark plugs, replace if you have done so in a while, and make sure you double check the gap. for the blinkers my 98 gets a lil squirley if I try to use the 4 way flashers, but mine seems to be a bad connection in the column. I would check you blinker in yours first, that would seem to be the most logical issue. I hope this helps a lil....

Thank you so much for your help! I will get those plugs changed. I have had her for 2 years and I have never replaced them.
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help! I will get those plugs changed. I have had her for 2 years and I have never replaced them.
Hey read the other post I linked you to, that I beleive will be your issue, but definatley change them plugs if you are not sure the last time they were changed, and stick with the copper core plugs, DONT buy any fancy plugs, IE: iridium, platnium, 12 electrodes..etc.. Jeeps are plain and dont play well with anything else...LOL
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
missjeepgal
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hey read the other post I linked you to, that I beleive will be your issue, but definatley change them plugs if you are not sure the last time they were changed, and stick with the copper core plugs, DONT buy any fancy plugs, IE: iridium, platnium, 12 electrodes..etc.. Jeeps are plain and dont play well with anything else...LOL

LOL.... CJ, (Cheap Jeep) does not play well with others!!
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
LOL.... CJ, (Cheap Jeep) does not play well with others!!
and dont forget Just Empty Every Pocket, or Junk Each & Every Part.... But the CJ is very nice..LOL
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
missjeepgal
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
and dont forget Just Empty Every Pocket, or Junk Each & Every Part.... But the CJ is very nice..LOL
Thanks! Two years ago, I totaled my other car (Grand Am) so I was in a hurry to obtain a car and I saw CJ on a local lot. I took her for a test drive and fell in love. The price I paid for her was very low and that is how she got the name CJ....This is my first Jeep, and really can't see myself owning anything else. Besides oil changes the only thing I have had to replace is an AC condensor.
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks! Two years ago, I totaled my other car (Grand Am) so I was in a hurry to obtain a car and I saw CJ on a local lot. I took her for a test drive and fell in love. The price I paid for her was very low and that is how she got the name CJ....This is my first Jeep, and really can't see myself owning anything else. Besides oil changes the only thing I have had to replace is an AC condensor.
Welcome to the family, and glad to hear you were OK... So you have a Cherokee or a CJ? LOL I am confused.. Do you have any pics of it? LOL some of my best Jeeps I have owned i purchased on the lower end, adn got many years of great service out of them.. You really shoudl go over her, and start chanign all the fluids if you have not done so. The transmission, transfer case, both diff's, coolant and flush, and have her greased up in the front end and driveshafts... and if you have not done the plugs, you should probably do wires and cap and rotor.. All the basic maintence stuff... If you need more help just drop a line..
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's a 2001, they don't have wires...
but do the rest. Welcome
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
It's a 2001, they don't have wires...
but do the rest. Welcome
LOL, my bad, those couple of years always throws me off...
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
justanotherjpr

Very common problem. It's a heat soak issue on injector number 3. Some say the heat shield works, it didn't for me. Some say the heat wrap on the injector works, it didn't for me. Some say the hood vents work, they helped a little for me. I ended up wiring a switch to turn on my auxiliary e-fan manually. If I'm in a store for less than 10 minutes, I leave it on (when the ambient temp is above 85 or so). This has done the trick every time.

Failing that, you can try replacing the injector(s) or even try moving them around to isolate the problem. From what I can gather, the insulation in the injectors breaks down over time and the heat soaking into them causes it to misfire until it is able to 'clear'.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

There was no mention if there are any "symptoms" such as misfires, stumbling, etc. Are there any? Also, does the check engine light come on and off or does it stay on? The devil is in the details here.

I agree that the#1 thing is to definitely change out those spark plugs. The #3 fuel injector is suspect to heat soak as already mentioned. The other thing that is related to that specific cylinder would be the fuel injector itself.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey I also checked with the service manager here at my dealership. The 4.0 misfire on cylinder #3 often times is also carbon build up on the valves. They have a kit they do at the dealeship to clear it up, but I think you can seafoam the engine thro the intake and get very similar results. You should also give that a shot, That is right along the lines of maintence. Drop me a line if you need a better explanation of the seafoam process..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.