2001 cherokee overheating and uses coolent for 3 years despite repairs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 cherokee overheating and uses coolent for 3 years despite repairs

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can sample the oil and look for coolant with a kit from - http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

A used 0331 TUPY head from a 2003 or newer Wrangler will have the updated design to prevent cracking and will be cheaper than a new head.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You might also check the freeze plugs, there is one in back of head also. Check the radiator, tiny leaks can go undected for years, as well as the coolant bottle, it can lead and you never see it. If you want though I am not sure if it will work, is to pull the plug rail off, pull plugs out and spin engine over and shine UV light into each cylinder and see if you see anything green in there. You might want to put each piston at TDC for this but if there is a leak in the head or gasket it will get inside and show up. You could also first start up engine let it idle till water leaks out the exhaust. Then check that, not sure if it will work but possibly dye will not combust so it might show up in the water from the exhaust. If you do this you'll have to let the engine cool overnite to do the first suggestion. These may not work, but have had coolant leaks in the past that were small, constant, and seemingly invisible in a engine that ran fine for all the years I had it. Hate to see you put on a head, then find you still have that leak.

Oh and check heater area. There is a drain, check around it. Some of these leaks are super sneaky. My old Ford Ranger will every now and then leak coolant out of the heater hose connections at the body. It will drip a bit on the ground for a day or so, then go away for who knows how long before doing the same thing again over and over. Heater core is good, hoses are new, has done if for ages.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

it does sound like a cracked head to me, some thing no one else has thought of. since you put the dye in the coolent run the jeep and just for haha's check the water that comes out of the tail pipe, not likly that the dye would be still present after it has been burned and passed through the cat, but worth a shot.
also smell the exaust, if it has a sweet hin then that is a sign of burning coolent (cracked head)
also a bad heater core would leak causing your pass. side carpet to be wet.
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Blackstone lab test is a great idea if you are not sure. Not much money and keeps you from chasing your tail. Tests positive and the head is GONE. (which is more than likely the problem here).
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
gingerbread

Thanks

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their help. It's been great for 6 months after the new head. Got a good used one since Alabama Head had a very long wait. I was afraid to reply sooner because I did not want to Jinx it. About every 3-6 months it seems like something breaks on it. Now it's a different problem at least at this six month mark. Thanks again! You guys ROCK!!!
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overheating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.