Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2000 XJ Upgrades

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Robs2000XJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys I finally got my dream truck.. a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Got it with 118k, now have around 152 on it. Love it, and everything about it. So far I've Just done an add a leaf spring, and I've upgraded the lights.
Today I'm adding ZJ leather seats to it. I'm excited. However, I want to know how difficult it will be to add power seats to it, as the ZJ seats are all power and my previous seats are not.
I also want to upgrade to the ZJ console, as its much more comfortable, and the cup holders are much better.
Next step: found a 2000 XJ Chrysler 8.25 rear end I may wind up driving 4 hours to buy complete for around 150 and I'll make it POSI after I get it.
The Kolak Ignition Kit looks good, and I've read positive reviews on it.
Bosch injectors also are on their way.
Is there anything else I should look into? I probably won't ever take it offroading, but I would prefer beefier rear end simply because it's a better rear end and it isn't that expensive.
Any other thing you guys have please let me know. And if ANYBODY has an 80's rear tire swing mount I want it, even though I already have a spare tire carrier I found for dirt cheap.
Pictures obviously when I finish it. Annnnd all upgrades should be budget friendly, as I'm a 29 year old home owner in NYC.
-Rob.

See less See more
#2 ·
Power seats aren't that bad. The stock pigtails are tucked up under the console, so you can actually just tap into those to run the ZJ seats. Just be aware you keep your XJ bases so you'll get power tilt and lumbar but the distance adjustment stays manual. I did that swap myself, there's some pictures in my build thread, though that was before I started taking them as I was working.

Keep a real close eye on your cooling system. The 00-02.5 4.0's have a head that's prone to cracking between cylinders 3 &4 when overheated. It's probably worth shelling out the ~$30 to have a used oil analysis done on it just in case.

As to other low budget upgrades: A relay harness is a BIG improvement for your headlights, even with the same sealed beams. Add autopal h4 housings and some good bulbs and it gets even better. A transmission cooler is also a great mod even for a stock XJ. Those AW4's like to run hot and they really help. If you plan to use it as a 'truck' a good rubber cargo area protector with a spill lip is worth having for sure. LED's make a nifty upgrade for the interior lighting, though I've left my whole dash alone, I like the incandescents there. Just the map, dome, and courtesy lights give it a whole different look when you open the door.

Higher budget, you can still get pre-formed carpet for these things if yours is in bad shape. The 8.25 can also be converted to disc brakes using KJ or ZJ parts if that's your thing.

Beyond that, for this sort of resto-mod vibe I'm getting from you as opposed to an offroad build, just figure out what's worn and replace it. Bushings, saggy rear leaf springs, fluid refresh all the way around, inspect the steering, etc...

do your research when anything goes out, there's all kinds of upgrades and wisdom on which brand to use available. Alternators, O2 sensors, power steering, there's tricks to all sorts of things.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I got really nice lights for cheap, 5x7's that just plugged right into it off of Amazon.. I think like 25-30 apiece? The used oil analysis I will definitely do. I'm actually in the process of locating stock XJ power seat brackets. Found a passenger side, so I think that makes it a little easier with installation, right? And I also found a stock jeep mount from the 80's can't wait for it to get here!! I will absolutely do that transmission upgrade to help keep it cool. The next thing I was also advised on doing was to get the electric fan installed, like from an older Ford Taurus or something.. I read it's a good upgrade to help keep the engine bay cool. It's funny, I bought a 2000 and I'm making it look more and more like an 80's jeep. Even the rims I want are from the late 80's, the 5 star aluminum ones. Thank you very much for the advice, I'll definitely get started on that right away.

#4 ·
As a fellow 2000 XJ owner in NYC I can add my 1/50th of a George Washington. In particular on issues related to driving around NYC.

Do the Used Oil Analysis and if its an automatic, ATF analysis as well. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

How old is the ATF, coolant, and differential fluids?

Relay harness for the lights made the biggest difference for me.

If automatic trans add a simple transmission fluid cooler. Helps in the stop and go city traffic.

If you're going to upgrade/replace the injectors, take the time to insulate them to avoid the common 4.0l heat soak issue.

A 120 decibel horn goes a long way in NYC.

Get 30" tires, they should fit even without a lift.

When you are ready to replace shocks/springs go with a mild 2" lift. I really like the look and feel of it in city driving.

BTW Wharton State Forest in NJ is about an hour away from SI and has a ton of legal off road trails that are a lot of fun in an XJ. Just make sure you have recovery points.

#5 ·
The fluids are probably a year old, and I really only drive around 4 miles ( round trip ) to work otherwise I usually use my girlfriends truck.. it's a lease and has like no Miles on it so I don't see the point to use mine. I have 30" tires on mine now (coopers) and I have an add leaf lift of 1.5" I think that's fine now.. coupled with my tires I actually like the way it looks. And I am definitely going to check those trails out. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.