2000 XJ Suspension Torque Specs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 XJ Suspension Torque Specs

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
matthartman1
1998 ZJ 

2000 XJ Suspension Torque Specs

So my girlfriend's 2000 XJ has been having "death wobble" issues. After crawling underneath and finding the Sway Bar Link Bushings decrepit, getting them off and FINALLY removing the lower T55 bolt with a c-clamp and oversized socket I've made it to the easy part of installing new links.

Unfortunately however, I only have the Haynes for my 98ZJ. Would someone be willing to post the torque specifications found at the beginning of the suspension & steering systems chapter for the stabilizer bar-to-link nut and stabilizer link-to-axle bolt/nut?

Also, if anyone is having issues removing those lower link t55 bolts, the c-clamp is the way to go. Tried the pitman puller... just a PITA.

matthartman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Sway bar link torque is NOT critical to eliminating DW. The ZJ specs would be the same as the XJ for that model year, BTW.

"Reasonably Tight" is adequate for sway bar parts.. If you still have DW issues after that its NOT the sway bar or it's links.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthartman1 View Post
So my girlfriend's 2000 XJ has been having "death wobble" issues. After crawling underneath and finding the Sway Bar Link Bushings decrepit, getting them off and FINALLY removing the lower T55 bolt with a c-clamp and oversized socket I've made it to the easy part of installing new links.

Unfortunately however, I only have the Haynes for my 98ZJ. Would someone be willing to post the torque specifications found at the beginning of the suspension & steering systems chapter for the stabilizer bar-to-link nut and stabilizer link-to-axle bolt/nut?

Also, if anyone is having issues removing those lower link t55 bolts, the c-clamp is the way to go. Tried the pitman puller... just a PITA.
1) If I have the FSM for it, the torque specs are on my site. www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html.

2) When torquing suspension parts (especially with rubber bushings!)
- With the wheels in the air for access, snug the fasteners down finger-tight.
- Put the wheels on the ground
- "Bounce" each corner hard, let it stop on its own.
- Do that last bit again.
- Now torque to spec.

For suspension fasteners, failure to do this will accelerate bushing wear. You want to torque the bushing fasteners down in their "natural" position - vehicle on all four wheels, at rest, suspension relieved. If you torque a bushing through bolt with the wheels at "stuff" or "droop," you'll be fixing the bushing in an unnatural position, and just sitting still in the driveway will stress the EPDM elastomer!
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
matthartman1
1998 ZJ 

Jeff, correct... this has just been a step towards the overall DW issue. Thanks for your reply. I have found the exhaustive list of DW causes/solutions and am actively working my way through. Thanks for your response.
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
matthartman1
1998 ZJ 

5-90, Thanks for the walk-through. I knew enough to drop it down but the "bounce" was new information. I had some issues finding the specs on your site but if Jeff is correct, they should be the same as the 2000zj. I suppose my current concern is that with 78lbs of torque on the link nut (link to sway bar) those rubber bushings will be pancakes. SO...until I hear otherwise I'll let it ride at the very specific "reasonably tight."

Tags
sway bar link , torque specifications , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.