2000 xj rough/dying every minufe or so - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 xj rough/dying every minufe or so

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 03-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
boosst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2000 xj rough/dying every minufe or so

I just bought this jeep with a cracked 0331. Had this trouble before but assumed it bad something to do with the head. After cleadwater swap, i have the same trouble. It will run and idle fine for a minute or two and then it feels all bogged down and wont rev...idle rpms go way down and then it will die affer about 30 seconds of this roughness. If at anytime after it starts this rough running....i turn the jeep off and restart, the it runs great again for another minute or two. I am running pretty much headers only...i have about a 3" gap between header and intermediate pipe that i had to sawzall out. I would lean towards a bad o2 reading if it hadnt done this before the swap with full exhaust. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

At start-up the Jeep is running in open loop, and all the sensor signals are ignored by the PCM. As soon as possible, the PCM switches over to closed loop, and it starts to adjust fuel/timing/etc based on the signals from all the sensors. You may have a sensor issue, wiring issues to the sensors, something that didn't get hooked up correctly during the swap, or low battery voltage.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator is not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging. Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem.

Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. (3) The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will start and idle normally.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace them as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
boosst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought a new battery(mine was over 6 yrs old anyways)...no help. I unplugged the o2 sensor right after the header and it ru s great. Got a CEL light now but at least i know what caused it. I will get some new exhaust this week and replace that o2 and hopefully be problem free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.