2000 xj, re-wiring front door speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 xj, re-wiring front door speakers

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
matty8199

2000 xj, re-wiring front door speakers

driver side door speaker does not work, read on here all about how the wire gets broken inside the boot between the door and the body...so i'm trying to rewire it. problem is, the wires in the door (where it connects to the speaker) are black and green, but i can't find any black/green combination inside the vehicle. what wires should i be splicing into?

i haven't started the passenger door yet, but i'm assuming it's probably the same...please help! i've seen so many people here say to just rewire it, but i can't for the life of me find anything that says what color i should be splicing into, or where...i really don't want to have to run new wires all the way to the head unit...

Unread 10-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are you still using the stock head unit, or an aftermarket one? You should not splice into anything if you are running new wiring. You should run new wires on both sides from the speakers right to the head unit. Get some good quality speaker wire, and it should stand up better than the factory stuff.

In this case the extra work is worth it...and really, it is like 15-20 minutes more work.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
matty8199

it's an aftermarket HU, but i don't have enough speaker wire at the moment to run new wires to the HU even if i wanted to...i only ordered enough from crutchfield to re-wire just the section that goes through the boot, because that's what all the posts i had found in the search told me to do.

the problem is that i can't for the life of me figure out which are the correct wires...
Unread 10-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
matty8199

not to mention i can't figure out how to get the wire through the grommet...there's not even enough room to get my wire worm through.

every post i've seen says what an easy job this is, but i just can't see it...i'm getting so frustrated i want to break something.
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
matty8199

can someone tell me how to get the wire through the boot/grommet before i end up smashing all or some part of the jeep? i'm so frustrated right now...
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Click here -> 1984-2001 Cherokee Stereo and Alarm wire colors

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
matty8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
yeah, found that earlier thanks...but i'm still stumped on how people are getting the wire through the grommet that goes from the inside of the vehicle into the rubber boot between the door and body. i can't get my wire worm through there, it's packed too tight...
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The boot will come out of the door and the body if you tug on it. Run your wires and then work the boot back into the holes. You might have to push on the boot with something that is sort of pointy, but not sharp.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
matty8199

no, the boot between the door and body isn't the one i'm having the issue with...that one i can get out and back in (and get the wire worm through). the one i'm having an issue with is the little boot that goes from the inside of the vehicle to the outside, the one right behind the kick panel...the wires are packed in there so tightly that i can't get anything else through there.
Unread 10-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
shaman1204
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty8199 View Post
can someone tell me how to get the wire through the boot/grommet before i end up smashing all or some part of the jeep? i'm so frustrated right now...
-remove inside door panel, remove speaker from door frame.
-cut the long bottom piece from a wire hanger
-fish the hanger from inside the door through the grommet down into the kick panel area
-Tape the speaker wire to the hanger TIGHTLY down near the kick panel. Tape as much speaker wire to the hanger as possible so it doesn't pull off easily.
-Carefully pull the hanger that is sticking out of the inside of the door panel so the speaker wire comes with it.

This is what I did and it took about 20 minutes per door.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
shaman1204
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty8199 View Post
no, the boot between the door and body isn't the one i'm having the issue with...that one i can get out and back in (and get the wire worm through). the one i'm having an issue with is the little boot that goes from the inside of the vehicle to the outside, the one right behind the kick panel...the wires are packed in there so tightly that i can't get anything else through there.
Disregard my last post then. I don't remember what I did there, but i don't recall having an issue with this area. If the grommet is big enough take an exacto knife/utility knife and make a small X and push your wire worm through.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
matty8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204 View Post
Disregard my last post then. I don't remember what I did there, but i don't recall having an issue with this area. If the grommet is big enough take an exacto knife/utility knife and make a small X and push your wire worm through.
that's what i ended up doing...i cut a small slit in the grommet above where the rest of the door wires go through...then i cut the speaker wires and spliced a new wire, and ran it through the newly cut slit in the grommet.

eventually i'll run new wires back to the head unit, but for now this was/is a quick fix for the winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.