2000 XJ No start condition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 XJ No start condition

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
psuryanxj

2000 XJ No start condition

I have a 2000 xj with 240k miles in a no start condition. I have tested for gas pressure at the fuel rail which was fine, and the fuel pump runs when the ignition is turned on. Engine turns over when started so battery and starter are fine. Crank shaft position sensor is working tested fine. Tested for spark which was negative. Since this occurred it has not fired on any cylinder while trying to start. Checked all the fuses and relays. Prior to the no start condition, when I turned the ignition the car would crank but not start, I would turn the key back and try again in which it would start immediately, it had been doing that for about 9 months or more.

Any ideas?

psuryanxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

With the way you've had to futz with the ignition to get it to start, the problem might be there. You might need a new ignition switch.

I'd also try swapping the ASD relay inside of the power distribution center (black box) under the hood with another one just to be sure it isn't that.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
psuryanxj

Can I swap it with the relay beside it or are they different relays? Also, as far as the ignition, the engine would turn over before when I turned the key, it just wouldn't fire, like its doing now. Then when I would try again it would start. Would that still be something in the switch that would run the starter but not give a signal for spark?
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A failed fuel line check valve or leaky injectors will cause it to not start on the first try, start on second try.

Have the battery Load Tested. A weak battery can turn the starter, but may cause computer troubles leading to a no-start.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
psuryanxj

Just confirmed the ASD relay is good. Battery is less than a year old and was cranking full power when it first stopped starting. Also tried jump starting. Just re-checked the fuel line, still have pressure in the fuel rail (after 4 days of sitting) so the pump is definitely working. Looks like its gotta be a no spark issue. What do you guys think about a bad Engine Management control module? There is also a sensor where the mechanical distributor used to be, no doubt does the same thing only electronically, how often do those go bad?
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
everhguevara
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ignition coil.
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
psuryanxj

The 2000 & 2001 have the 'coil on plug' distributor-less coil systems with three coils on the bar. Does anyone know if they all fail at once? I would think that if one goes the other still fire till the engine stalls out but maybe its like Christmas lights, when one goes out they all do. I am going to test for voltage going into the plug for the coil bar today to confirm whether or not it's getting juice.
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Hillbillydeluxe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Never mind :0)

Last edited by Hillbillydeluxe; 11-23-2010 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: failure to read orginal post
Hillbillydeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the ignition switch isn't routing juice to the ASD relay, that could do it. I'd still be concentrating on that.

Have you checked for voltage at that relay with a meter and that relay removed?
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
psuryanxj

Just tested the ASD relay and it is getting full juice, so the ignition switch is probably ok. Also checked the plug on the coil bar which has 4 outputs called Ignition coil no1 driver, Fused ASD output, Ignition coil no2 driver, and ignition coil no3 driver. With the car in "Accessory" I am reading no voltage. When I try starting the voltages jump to about 0.8 v I am thinking they are supposed to be about 12v? Unsure if I tested it right, grounded the negative lead of the meter to the battery and then put the positive to the coil no# driver outputs while cranking.
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
dolittle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

As CJ7-Tim said sound like the fuel line check valve. (not sure if it is in the pump on a 2000 xj)
Try turning the key to on an off twice and then try to start it.
The fuel pump only runs for about 2 seconds when the key is turned on if you do it a few times then it should build pressure in the fuel rail.
It could also be a leak in the fuel system that cause it to loose pressure.
dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
psuryanxj

No dice, this thing has been sitting at my work since last Tuesday, looks like it's time to admit defeat. Time for the tow truck. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Tags
no spark , no start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.