2000 XJ minor issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 XJ minor issues

50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineApril Savings Save 5% Off Of Jeep Headlights

Unread 03-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

2000 XJ minor issues

Hi all,

I just picked up a 2000 XJ. It has a few issues (nothing major).

First: The turn signals operate properly when they want to. Many times I have to manually operate them. The side marker bulbs on the nose cone end are not lit up. Turn signal stalk? Relay? It can't be a fuse since they light up and operate properly on a random basis.

Second: The AIRBAG light comes on. Sometimes it stays one, but other times it does not. I've read about a clock spring. Are those hard to fix? Would you try a junk yard one? I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible because it's just a temporary car until I get a better XJ.

Third: The driver's side back door has the 1/4 window glass broken out of it. I'm sure I can find one at a junk yard, but how hard is that to replace?

Fourth: The blower only works on high, or level 4, depending on how you call it. I'm thinking the blower motor resistor is shot.

Thanks for the help!

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check the turn signal clicker module under the dash. Turn signal lever failures are somewhat common. Check the bulbs, bulb sockets, and bulb wires.

A faulty clock spring is likely. I have had good luck with pre-owned clock springs.

The glass is a simple fix. A few screws and bolts.

Buy a new blower motor resistor, and inspect the wires/wire harness.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Flasher maybe, is it blinking? When mine went out it would flash and few times and then just stay lit up, no blinking.

Air bag light, I haven't had that issue yet.

Glass, what CJ7-Tim said.

Sounds like your resistor is shot. Mine went out and I only had speed 4. I'm going to be working on my blower motor and resistor wiring next. My air bag light illuminates and the tach and speedometer drop out once in a while and will get no bus sometimes. Flick the blower motor speed to a different setting and those two start working again, so I think I have a wiring short issue there (or somewhere else). I've already replaced the plug for the gauge cluster and that didn't fix it. Other than the current wiring issue and AC problems (evaporator coil X2 and now I think the compressor is going bad), it has been the best vehicle I've ever had. 282,XXX miles so far, we bought it new almost 16 years ago.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.