2000 v6 gauges going crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 v6 gauges going crazy

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
ss44camaro
2013 JK Wrangler 

2000 v6 gauges going crazy

friend of mine just traded for a 2000 cherokee v6. the temp gauge sometimes goes up like its over heating but its not and comes back down. also the oil pressure gauge will go down to 0 then come back up to normal. im hoping that the pressure gauge is wrong and the oil pump is working right. is this a common issue with these cars? any ideas to diagnose whats going on? if you guys can give me some tips it would help me be ready for when he brings it over and hopefully we can fix it.

ss44camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The oil pressure sending gauge or the wires leading to it are known to have problems and the oil gauge will go to the end of the scale. This is not a real problem but is a pretty simple fix.

If the temp gauge is quickly rising and falling, you need to service the cooling
system.

The cooling system is just that, a system, which depends on proper function from each of its component parts to keep the engine cool. Service the cooling system and replace any under performing or suspected weak parts. Any component part of the cooling system that is not fully doing its job will stress the others and your cooling system will overheat.

-Use a flushing/cleaning solution and then drain and fill the radiator with a fresh 50/50 coolant and water mix.
-Replace the thermostat with a STANT brand 195*.
-Replace the radiator cap. An old worn out cap will allow boil overs as the coolant flashes to steam. You will see the coolant temps suddenly jump from 210* to the Red Zone if your radiator cap is weak.
-Inspect or replace the mechanical fan clutch. A worn clutch will allow temperature creep at stoplights and in heavy traffic. Looking OK and working OK is not the same thing.
-Inspect the electric cooling fan. Apply 12 volts and make sure it runs. Confirm that the e-fan starts when engine temps reach 215-218*. Repair or replace as needed.
-Inspect or replace the coolant temperature sensor that activates the e-fan.
-Replace the water pump. The pumping fins can deteriorate over time and the pump will not flow enough coolant to keep the temps under control.
-Inspect the radiator for mud/bugs/grass clogging the outside and mineral deposits clogging the inside.
-Inspect/replace the radiator hoses. Make sure the coiled wire is installed in the lower hose.

Read more about cooling systems here - http://www.offroaders.com/tech/engine-overheating.htm

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For the Oil Pressure check the Oil Pressure Sending Unit on your friend's I6 then educate them to never say Cherokee V6 ever again. Unless they bought it from 84-86.

People get worked up about that around here.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

go to your local autoparts store and rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify the pressure. Make sure that the sending unit is at fault and that your oil pressure really isnt going down to zero. Your 2000 model has the weaker #0331 cylinder head and if its overheating with very low oil pressure you could have coolant in the oil and a cracked head. Not saying its your problem but I would just check the obvious (milky oil and low coolant, verify oil pressure with mechanical gauge) before sinking money into sensors.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
ss44camaro
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
go to your local autoparts store and rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify the pressure. Make sure that the sending unit is at fault and that your oil pressure really isnt going down to zero. Your 2000 model has the weaker #0331 cylinder head and if its overheating with very low oil pressure you could have coolant in the oil and a cracked head. Not saying its your problem but I would just check the obvious (milky oil and low coolant, verify oil pressure with mechanical gauge) before sinking money into sensors.
wow that would suck. ill do just that and get back to yall.
ss44camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.