2000 sport heater problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 sport heater problem

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
b15618

2000 sport heater problem

My 2000 cherokee sport seems to not want to provide hot heat. I have replaced all hoses, thermostat, and coolant. Heater core has been blown out with air; and I'm still getting just warm, almost hot air.
Any suggestions as to the cause of this problem??

b15618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried to burp the cooling system? There is a sticky under tech on how to do it if not.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
JEEPZZ

No need to 'burp' to cooling system, his 2000 has a radiator cap. The system self purges the air out the very first time the t-stat opens up.

I would suggest back flushing the heater core with water (not air) until all of the crud comes out. Once the water comes out clear, alternate flushing it forward and then backwards until you have a clean, high volume flow coming out of the core. It's a piece of cake to do with a garden hose and should only take you about 10-15 minutes.
Unread 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

when flushing the heater core where do you hook up your water supply line i jhave a 97 sport and i have the same issue ill be replacing the hoses and clamps and t stat this week i wanna FLUSH THE HEATER CORE BUT NOT SURE HOW TO
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) only in a JEEP
sofixj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would also suggest looking into the blend door to see if it is closing off properly. your problem may not be related to the coolant flow.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ok what are the hints for the blend door where should i hear it .. and my 97 sport has 125000 miles on it i just bought her so not sure of past maintance
Unread 02-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

holy heat batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i flushed the heater core and the entire cooling system out to night and wow was it brown and kinda chunky refilled it with fresh 50-50 mix and so far its blowing nice hot air.... still waiting to get all the bubbles out... i also replaced the thermostat and rad cap....
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you got it fixed. I know it's cold up there.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
duke000088
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiYJ View Post
holy heat batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i flushed the heater core and the entire cooling system out to night and wow was it brown and kinda chunky refilled it with fresh 50-50 mix and so far its blowing nice hot air.... still waiting to get all the bubbles out... i also replaced the thermostat and rad cap....
Neat. Any tips on procedure? I'd like to do this too... my heat seems to be degrading (but the blend doors are working OK).

I've read you should pull the heater hoses off the water pump rather than from the core itself (at the firewall). Does a lot of coolant spill out? What's the best way to link up a garden hose to a heater hose? I was going to look around for a brass barb end that would stuff into the heater hose and thread onto the garden hose...
duke000088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.