2000 limited electrical issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 limited electrical issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

2000 limited electrical issue

I dont want to make this to broad. but my wife was driving my xj yesterday. no issue's. no funny noises. parked it. went inside the shoppette, came out one click. no start. no voltage. headlights wont turn on, no power at all. Tried getting a jump from a 4runner. nothing. starter didn't even try. but no aux power in any key position. im going to try a borrowed full charged battery. and check the terminal's in the morning. was just hoping for some more input and hot ticket area's to check. thanks in advance gentleman.

robswampthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Clicking and not starting is a lack of voltage. Either a bad battery or more likely, bad connections. Naturally you should check all the fuses in both fuse boxes.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it shows. Even if it shows 12V pull the light switch and see if it goes to 0. Had this happen to my Triumph battery, and last week the jeep made a pop and everything went off. In both cases the initial reading was 12V. But you could could put the tiniest load on the battery and it went to nothing.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You need at least a good 12.6 - 12.7 V to be able to start it, nothing less. It's very odd that you did not get warning signs and have no power at all. This is too weird. Could be one of the main fuse, or the ignition switch or something. If the battery reads good then the problem's elsewhere.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for reply's all. I am going to go to the gas station and check it out after work. at least it's on base so it's fairly safe. ill definitely let everyone know what i deduct from my troubleshooting today
Unread 05-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A main fuse or a possible "ground" issue come to mind, along with a catastrophic battery failure (have it load tested) And of course, battery connections MUST be shiny clean!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

so i ended up removing the positive cable from the battery. reseating the cable's in the coupling and voila. fired up. it was finger tight. no idea how that happened. going to go to auto zone to get the alt and battery tested though to see if maybe i just got lucky with the start
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Its amazing how little it takes for nothing to work with the battery connections. Clean and tight is important!!
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
robswampthing
Grocery getter

2000 XJ Cherokee 

amen brother

Tags
alternator , battery , starter , wont start , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.