2000 Jeep cherokee Bad ECM ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Jeep cherokee Bad ECM ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
JTSTEELE1

Code reader not working

Helpful hint on code readers,I have found in a few instances that if the cigarette lighter fuse is blown you will get nothing from the computer other than a link error message. Always good to ck, also if the ck engine light is not on (other than a blown bulb maybe), you will not get any help from the computer. Hope it helps, J.T.

JTSTEELE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
vtails

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 that will not crank/start. Initially I was able to get it to crank and start a couple of times by holding the key to the start position for 30 seconds or more but had to do this numerous times to get it to crank and start. The dash "-brake light" stays on as does the "Check Gauges" light and the speedo does not work.I believe the compass and temp gauge also is locked at the last reading and does not change. I removed the ECM to check the connections as well as the fuses and put the ECM back. In doing so I did get it to crank by holding the key to start for 30 seconds 5-6 times but now it will not start. Any suggestions folks? Thank you for any help you cam afford me. The rig is stuck 38 miles up a mountain road without tow truck access.
vtails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
jrios38

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 4.7

My ECM just went bad , I replaced it back in 05 from the dealer 1200 bucks,,ouch... I took it to a repair shop they told me that a circuit was bad..I took off the ECM....Auto computer exchange look \ like there a bunch of scammers according to all the reviews that i saw online...I took of my ECM and I am gonna try to put it back on to see if it does not signals the code p0443 ....I just want it to pass emission I really dont want to spend that much green... maybe your theory works.??? you wont knw if you dont try right
jrios38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When you do that Crank Sensor the bolts on them are stop bolts. You cannot tighten them like regular ones, they will break. Just tighten till they stop, then just a bit more with a small ratchet so you do not have much leverage. Go easy and you should be fine.
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
ATXJeep
2000 WJ 

In Texas we are required to have a state inspection, before being able to register a automobile. Now, my problem is my JEEP Grand Cherokee, 4.7 liter 2 wheel drive is showing the engine light on. So I have taken to a few different JEEP Shops, and still no dice...

Problem: I have replaced Throttle position sensor, I have replaced solenoid, leak detection pump, and smoked the EVAP system. So there are no leaks, and well the Firestone place said they tested it, and that it is the ECM... Now the deal wants $600.00, and Im thinking junk yard, and replacing it with a used one, SO do I need to reprogram it at that point? is the dealer the only ones that can do that? or is there perhaps something I'm missing here....? Help Please

Keep in mind the jeep runs strong, I drive it daily!
ATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you have a Grand Cherokee, you should posting questions in the Grand Cherokee section of the Forum.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
jaydentis

my 1999 jeep cherokee will crank but wont start replaced the fuel pump distributor cap and rotor pickup coil and still wont start any ideas
jaydentis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydentis View Post
my 1999 jeep cherokee will crank but wont start replaced the fuel pump distributor cap and rotor pickup coil and still wont start any ideas
Follow the steps in posting #2 above.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.