2000 jeep Cherokee 4.0 coolant issue - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Birdog009

2000 jeep Cherokee 4.0 coolant issue

Greetings,

New to the forum but not to jeeps. Have had CJ 5, CJ 7, wrangler and my first new vehicle ever bought, a 2000 jeep Cherokee. I bought it off the lot in 2000 and until last week was a daily driver.

The problem. Overheated and ran out of coolant. Filled it back up and can smell coolant when I park it but cannot find a leak anywhere. No loss of power. No smoke. Did pull the oil fill cap and found foamy substance on cap. No sign of coolant on oil dipstick. What is the thought here. Head gasket? Cracked head? Both?

My plans are to get a crate motor ATK maybe? And replace if this is a head issue. I have 198K miles. The rig is otherwise perfect with no rust. Cannot see getting rid of it. Want to pass it down to my son for his first vehicle.

What do you guys think about the coolant issue?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5004.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Devil15

foamy substance on the cap can just be regular water condensation that regularly gets built up then boiled off in the engines normal hot cold cycles. If you can smell it then that seems like an external leak. If your coolant ran empty that also points to an external leak. Borrow a pressure tester and look for leaks I bet you have a hidden one somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Before you fix what ain't broke, do some testing. Have the oil tested at Blackstone Labs, test the compression and cylinder leakdown. Leak test the cooling system. As already suggested, a small amount of goo on the bottom of the oil filler cap is normal.

Refurbish the cooling system and consider replacing the freeze plugs.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Birdog009

Thanks for the replies. I will check these recommendations this week. I cannot find a leak anywhere. Been driving me nuts.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM
PiKapp504
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Are you losing coolant from the overflow reservoir? With the vehicle running, open the oil cap and look down between the #3 and #4 cylinders (directly below the oil cap). If you see a hairline crack or any sort of "green" ooze, then unfortunately you have the "0331" crack, which would warrant a replacement head. Assuming this is the very first overheat/boilover, you may be ok though. Check all sensors and gasket areas, verify compression test, perform a leak-down (if possible), and have the oil analyzed (as all stated previously).

Jeremy
97 XJ - 4.0L, Auto, NP231, Zone 3" lift, 30" tires
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - DD/Beater
post #6 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Birdog009

So I did as prescribed. Could not see a crack between the 3 and 4 cylinder but when looking in while jeep is running and up to temp, the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake flowing. Had an appt to bring it in Tomm for leak test and compression check but I am guessing not needed?

Blown head gasket and or cracked head??????

Thoughts?
post #7 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If there is milkshake oil, there is coolant leaking into the oil. Likely there is a head crack or failed gasket. Research some of the other 0331 threads for your options, but either way you will need to take the head off, at which point you should have the head inspected for cracks at a shop, or better yet just replace it. If it were my Cherokee I would not install, or re-install, a plain 0331 head, I would buy the improved non-cracking TUPY 0331 head from a Grand Cherokee or a Wrangler, and install that.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 AM
2oldjeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
If there is milkshake oil, there is coolant leaking into the oil. Likely there is a head crack or failed gasket. Research some of the other 0331 threads for your options, but either way you will need to take the head off, at which point you should have the head inspected for cracks at a shop, or better yet just replace it. If it were my Cherokee I would not install, or re-install, a plain 0331 head, I would buy the improved non-cracking TUPY 0331 head from a Grand Cherokee or a Wrangler, and install that.

i hear there is a difference in exhaust manifolds? how to get the right tupy for a 2000 ?
post #9 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 0331 and the improved TUPY 0331 interchange. All 2000-01 XJ Cherokee 4.0L engines have the 0331 head, and have the cast iron exhaust manifold instead of the older tube style exhaust manifold.

post #10 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 PM
2oldjeeps

ok thanks
post #11 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Birdog009

Where would I find one of these TUPY 0331 heads for a 2000 Cherokee.

I will check the cost and install price on that and make decision about possible motor swap.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 08:05 PM
jim9006
2002 WJ 

Garage
FYI TUPY isnt available anymore. Clearwater heads is the way to go now for the 2000/01.
xjeepy likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Nick05
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdog009 View Post

I will check the cost and install price on that and make decision about possible motor swap.
02 to 04 grand cherokee would be a place to start when looking for a tupy, 99 to 01 grands have the same 0331 as what you have.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-25-2017, 04:52 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdog009 View Post

Your local junkyard should have several TUPY heads to choose from. Have any used head inspected.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 PM
dented

Listen to CJ7 Tim. Get the oil tested. You have a cracked head most likely. You need to look after the jeep has cooled down and the engine cools. You will see the crusty dried coolant btw. 3 and 4. While it is hot and running you will not see anything. If there was enough water in your engine to see I doubt your engine would be running. I used Blue Devil. It stopped it for about 2 year and then came back. I replace the head with a thicker casting from Clearwater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.