2000 Jeep Cherokee 2WD ABS Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Jeep Cherokee 2WD ABS Problem

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Mack114

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2WD ABS Problem

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd. I just bought the vehicle and on test drive could feel it needed new brakes. The vehicle sat for about a year. I'll explain what is happening and then explain what I've done so far.
When driving the vehicle, I have a great pedal until I just about have to stop. Right before I completely stop, the brake pedal gives out and a loud noise is coming from the front of the vehicle(under the hood). In the pedal, you can feel somewhat of a knock when it does this. The vehicle, for a brief moment, discontinues braking then immediately brakes again bringing the vehicle to a stop. The ABS light doesn't come on.

What I've done: I noticed a lot of rust on the calipers, rotors and very thin brake pads, i guess from sitting. I replaced the calipers, rotors and pads and the problem still exist. My next thought was Brake lines, so I inspected them and appear to be in really good shape, no "ballooning" what so ever and no signs of dry rot or leaks. I can't find a single leak anywhere in the brake system. My next thought was Master Cylinder. I was driving to pick up a new one, but pulled over to try something...I pulled the fuses from the ABS Sol and ABS Motor. ABS light came on and I started down the road, got up to about 25 mph and began to breke and my initial problem went away. The Jeep slowed down great and came to a complete stop with no problems and the pedal felt great. So, now I figure I am in the right area. I checked the sensor's(they are fixed and cant be adjusted for distance) and they were really dirty so I cleaned them up and put them back on. I plugged the fuses back in and problem came back...I did try just plugging the ABS Motor back in without the ABS SOL, the Jeep comes to complete stop with no issues, but one thing I noticed, when holding the brake pedal down at a complete stop, If I slowly let off the pedal, I can feel the "pulsing" so I know something is working, but it just doesn't work when I have everything plugged in...

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and where do I go from here. I can't think of anything else besides replacing the ABS Sol. I want to hear what others have to say before I start diving into replacing the ABS, just in case I don't have to...

Mack114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do a search using the word antilock. You will get some hits. I recently had an ABS issue, but not like yours. Mine ended up being the small black plastic device under the rear seat (drivers side), that mechanically senses acceleration and deceleration - it must be mounted properly to work or the ABS light illumuinates. I had a hard time finding anything on it, but got the most hits using the word antilock, not ABS. I recall seeing posts similar to your issue. JB
residentg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If somebody worked on the brakes and did not use the correct repair procedures, the ABS pump may need to be bled. Continued use of ABS while the pump is having issues can ruin the ABS pump.

You can disable the ABS ( by removing the ABS relays ) and the brakes will work normally, or you can have the Dealership diagnose the ABS system and attempt to bleed the ABS pump.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
jamesf81

At last somebody with the same problem!

been looking all over the internet for an answer to this problem. i have a 2000 xj that has the same problem with the brakes just before i stop
Did you find out what the problem was?
jamesf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd start with a good cleaning of tone rings (I know you said you cleaned the sensors, but did you clean out the teeth of the tone rings?) and connections having to do with the wheel speed sensors. Erratic wheel speed readings can cause all sorts of funky things. If that doesn't work I'm wondering if the problem may be that the ABS controller isn't getting an accurate vehicle speed reading... it's supposed to disable the ABS at low speed (probably <5 MPH) does your speedometer work OK?
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
2000sexj2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

abs problem 2000 xj

hey my xj is doing the same going to dealer 75 buck fee to find out the deal will let you know what jeep says since they can read the bs dbr-111 system:
2000sexj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
2000sexj2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

jeep abs

well went to dealer plugged in the drb 2 or 3 scanner and no codes at all .another dead end. mechanic drove jeep and inspected system. said to clean the tone rings so i said do it 135 bucks later same bs not all the time i ordered a abs sensor for front ( both the same) im going to switch it out to isolate which wheel is simulating the lock up my money is on a sensor problem lets face it chrysler has cheap wiring & defective abs control modules.check out youtube . my friend has a 01 sport and his obd 2 is not reading anything at all ! go fiqure will let you know more along the endless search good thing it runs ok
2000sexj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000 , abs , brakes , cherokee , jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.