2000 hawaiian xj build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 hawaiian xj build

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2000 hawaiian xj build

im not sure if this is the proper forum to put a build thread, but if it isnt, please move to the appropiate section.

anyways ill start off by introducing myself. my name is jensen and picked up my 2000 xj about 2 weeks ago. i post some pics shortly but here is the quick low down....
-auto
-np231
-no rust
-completely stock
-clean black/grey interior
-runs perfect
-cold ac and power everything

within a week, i already wanted to start modifying. i ordered a set of 33x12.5 bfg km2s on 15x8 rockcrawlers. they came in today and picked them up.

i also wanted the RC long arm but they were out of stock everywhere i called, so settled on the 6.5" short arm kit and ill upgrade later on. i placed the order with ryan at RC and ordered the 6.5 x factor kit, sye kit with driveshaft, control arm drops and some other misc stuff. it should get here this thursday night and we plan to have the jeep lifted and stting on the new rims and tires by friday afternoon. hopefully everything goes smooth.

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

my xj will pretty much be a daily driver with occasional weekend off roading. we dont have much rock climbing here, most times its dirt, mud, sand and some trails.

right now im deciding on what locker setup i should go with the front and back. ive already decided to regear to 4.56 front and back and now i have to decide on locker choice. if you guys could give me some opinions and suggestions, that would be awesome.

i was thinking maybe powertrax no slip front and back? arb is nice, but kinda on the pricey side. if i can get away with something cheaper and still does the job, i would like to do that.

any suggestions on the best places to order gears and lockers?
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you need pictures before you start a build thread..........silly goose
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

you got me there!! i did snap some pictures, but i havent had the time to upload yet. i will do so tomorrow. this is going to be a simple build thread with nothing spectacular or super custom.

but at the minimum it will be reading/looking material and hopefully some new people can read and get some insight.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
justanotherjpr

What lift company do you plan to use? I was in Maui in September for my honeymoon. Saw LOTS of lifted trucks lifted really high with short, wide tires. What's the reason the tires are so short? I get that they are wide, so you can float on the sand. Are they short because a tall tire isn't needed, and they need to keep all the gearing they can for the sand?

Like this one..I don't get it! Sorry for the hijack!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i wish i had your kind of money....i look forward to seeing the pics of the build
'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
brandontrek
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
What lift company do you plan to use? I was in Maui in September for my honeymoon. Saw LOTS of lifted trucks lifted really high with short, wide tires. What's the reason the tires are so short? I get that they are wide, so you can float on the sand. Are they short because a tall tire isn't needed, and they need to keep all the gearing they can for the sand?

Like this one..I don't get it! Sorry for the hijack!
the short wide wheels are for sand use iirc. i don't understand why they use short tires, but i know the width is for the sand
brandontrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
throttlejunkie1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are some sweet rides out there in Oahu. Went there for my first time about 2 weeks ago. I too was commenting on the super wide wheel/tire combos. People running 15x12's & 15x14's. I seen a black Cherokee in Ko Olina done up like that. That kind of off set has to be hard on bearings...right?

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
throttlejunkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontrek View Post
the short wide wheels are for sand use iirc. i don't understand why they use short tires, but i know the width is for the sand
Thank you, but i acknowledged this in my original post.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome... hawaii.

How many jeeps are there? I imagine people don't get them from the main land and bring em over...?
Any good wheelin?
Pics!
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

to the comment about my money. to be honest, this little project is actually one of the cheaper toys that ive had. for about 10 years, i was deep into import racing and drifting. my last car was a 700whp 6 speed lexus. that thing had wayyyy to much money put into it. for this project, my cap is $10k including the jeep. so im going to try and use the money as best as i can. besides im single, no kids, a foreman at a construction company, and im my free time alls i do is surf and train jiu-jitsu. i have to play as much as i can before i settle down

as far as the pictured truck, there are lots like that here in hawaii. sometimes people will lift their trucks and put on wide short tires just for the appearance. hardly any of the "nice" trucks you see on the road here, ever get dirty. to each their own. for my jeep, i wanted it to be able to go pretty much anywhere.

today one of my friends who hunts and works with me, took me to a trail that they use to get to the mountains. it was raining a little the past couple of days, and i thought it would be a good time to test what the xj could do stock. to my surprise we didnt get stuck once, and we climbed a hill that a bunch of straight front toyotas with 35's were having a so-so time climbing. needless to say, they were impressed. so was i! ill get pictures of this somewhat of a trail, and post them later. it was kind of a last minute thing.

after that, i headed down to the surf shop and picked up a yakima mega warrior basket. didnt get a chance to install, but ill get to that tonight. note to self, never bring friends to a shop. after the found out of the different warrior baskets, they kept making jokes to the lady asking her if they had ultimate warrior baskets, lol.

anyways, enough talking here are some pics from today after powerwashing the jeep...

and a couple of shots of the rims and tires. 33x12.5 bfg km2s and 15x8 rock crawlers

Unread 12-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
Awesome... hawaii.

How many jeeps are there? I imagine people don't get them from the main land and bring em over...?
Any good wheelin?
Pics!
to be honest, im not too sure. i havent really seen any modified xjs. except for a few somewhat modified ones. there are alot of wrangler style jeeps here. most of them are military peeps.

the most common lifted trucks here are toyotas. only thing is only a handful of them ever see any off roading or are off road capable. you will see lots of nice ones, straight front axles lifted sky high. they also like to stretch tires on wide rims, which isnt really my style. but there are some that are animals in the trail. you can usually tell really quick which ones have action.
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

this is going to be a sweet build

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
skootercee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bra
need to see it when you pau, loooks like windward side? let me know if you wana sell your stock rims
skootercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
redhanded
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootercee View Post
bra
need to see it when you pau, loooks like windward side? let me know if you wana sell your stock rims
whats up man. yea windward side. shoot me an offer for the rims. tires are pretty much cherry.

looks as though the lift kit has landed so its just a matter of hours before i get it. i called UPS and asked for a hold so i can pick up. that way i can get to it sooner. if not, they usually get to my house in the early afternoon, which would also be good. itll give me some time to get the prep work out of the way.

hopefully ill have some updated pics tomorrow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.