2000 Cherokee Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee Starting Problems

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Jimingle10

2000 Cherokee Starting Problems

Hi Guys,

New to this forum today.

The specimen - 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L v6

The Problem(s) - I'm Living with my grandparents right now, and for the past week or so, all I wake up to is the winding of a starter. I'm not sure why but it takes them about 4-5 tries to start the truck. When it does start is is very rough and usually stalls, followed by some more starter winding to get it going again. (the starter is fine, im just saying winding because its annoying at 5am lol)

After the 2nd time it starts it will stay running...with a little bit of help from the gas pedal. Once its warmed up everything seems to be fine, starts 1st try. Grandmother has said that it seems to be buring up gas a little quicker than usual.

Problem #2 (may be related)

The truck pulls a check engine code (not sure what the code is but if needed I can go pull it) But its for an engine misfire. I've cleared it and it stays off for about 1-2 weeks then comes back on. It usually comes back on after idling for awhile (while driveway is being snow-blowed, the truck is left on for heat and to melt snow etc)

Any insight on this would be great!

Thanks, - Jim

Jimingle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Crystalship1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Last tune-up (plugs, wires, dist. cap & button, etc.) ? If it's not had a tune-up in a while, I'd do that first. I'd also run a tank of SeaFoam cleaner through it for good measure. BTW - It's a straight (in-line) six, not a V6. Good Luck!!
1997 Gunmetal Blue XJ Sport - 4.0 L. I6 - 4 Dr. - 4x4 - 1.75" BB
Crystalship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
That1guy
2007 WK 

Welcome.

Well a good place to start is the code. Get us the number so we can see if that can help your problem. Does it only do this in the cold weather?
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hard starting with a rough idle and a tendency to stall without keeping your foot on the gas pedal points to a bad battery. The engine computer is sensitive to low voltage and when the battery is disconnected or the battery itself is weak, the computer will lose the idle settings. After the hard start and stall issues it relearns the idle settings in a few minutes and will run and idle normally.

The battery may have enough power to crank the motor but it probably has one bad cell. Take the battery to a repair shop or parts store and have it load tested. Most parts stores will loan you a code scanner to read the check engine light codes.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Jimingle10

Brand New Battery 2 weeks ago, it died on one of the starting attempts so better safe then sorry, it was replaced.
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Jimingle10

Starting issue - most prominent the past 2 weeks but i guess it has happened before (not nearly as bad..takes about 45 sec - 1min to get the car running)

Engine code - Going to retrieve it right now....but this has been going on for 1year +

the passed 2 weeks havn't been all that cold...nothing irregular
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimingle10 View Post
Brand New Battery 2 weeks ago, it died on one of the starting attempts so better safe then sorry, it was replaced.

Remove clean, and fully tighten all the wire connections between the battery, starter, and alternator. Make sure all the ground wire straps are present and have clean and solid connections.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Jimingle10

I'm pretty sure all the wires n such are fine. Battery was just replaced, havn't had any power issues.

Grandparents own their own code scanner and they cleared it few days ago...I won't be able to retrieve it for a few days (doesn't come back on for awhile). I will keep you posted on that.

Going to check the battery connections tomorrow. Most likely will replace spark plugs/wires also.

While im doing this miniature tune up...how hard is it to change the fuel filter? If it doesnt require dropping the gas tank I probobly wouldn't mind doing that. Any other easy service goodies?

Unread 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
That1guy
2007 WK 

The fuel filter is part of the pump and I dont think you can replace it.
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Jimingle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
The fuel filter is part of the pump and I dont think you can replace it.
scratch that then lol
Unread 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Jeep gal
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If all the connections and the ground are good, it might be a check valve problem in the fuel pump.

Try just turning the key on, till you hear the hum of the fuel pump, for a few seconds, then off. Do it several times. Then let it crank. It's like priming the pump. If that seems to help, you need to do a fuel rail pressure test, including bleed down.
Jeep gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
winks00XJ

If I had to guess I would say that it needs a new fuel pump. My 2000 did the same thing and I replaced several sensors before narrowing it down to the fuel pump. It was hard to start especially when cold unless you turned the key to on then off and then you start it. The check engine light would come on sometimes and stay on for a while with a missfire code. I finally ran a fuel pressure gauge taped to the windshield for a day and discovered that the fuel pump was the culprit. Hope this helps.
winks00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.