2000 Cherokee Sport Oil pressure/check gauges+ CEL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee Sport Oil pressure/check gauges+ CEL

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-18-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
xj_jimmy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2000 Cherokee Sport Oil pressure/check gauges+ CEL

So ever since about a month after I bought my cherokee every time I drive it hard, and by hard I mean highway driving 75 mph basically anything that involves higher rpms, after stopping or returning to lower rpms my check gauges light comes on and my pressure drops to 0. Everything I've read on this says oil pump blah blah but not sure if that's what I need because along with this issue, for about 2 weeks now my CEL has been on with codes for multiple misfires detected, misfire in cylinder 3 4 and 6...

ANY ideas what this could be

xj_jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have been reading "oil pump blah blah" then you have probably also read that the first thing you ALWAYS do when the oil pressure indicates low is to connect a mechanical gauge temporarily and confirm oil pressures with something more reliable than the dashboard instrument.

As far as CEL issues, multiple misfires on various cylinders could be a multitude of reasons, but I would start by checking spark plug condition before diving into more complex stuff.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good chance it is the oil pressure sending unit, does the engine rattle and knock when you hit zero? Mine would drop to zero, 'check gauges' light would come on but it was the sending unit. Also, as noted above, confirm with a mechanical gauge and check your plugs before you start dropping $$.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You might have a worn Oil Pump Drive gear, which may cause slipping oil pump drive and a resultant out of sync camshaft position sensor mounted on the oil pump drive.

Not that common in the 2000/2001 4.0, but it does happen.

If you think you want to examine the OPD gear let us know and I will post up the procedures for R&R of the OPD and Cam Sensor.

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.