2000 Cherokee Rear Wiper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee Rear Wiper

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
stigers

2000 Cherokee Rear Wiper

Hello - hoping to find some help with my rear wiper. Today I found broken wires between the rear hatch and body. Upon repairing them, my rear wiper started working again. However, it only works when the hatch is open. As soon as the hatch latches shut the wiper stops working, but keeps clicking. I'm thinking it might have something to do with a ground, but I'm no electrical expert. With the hatch open, I ran a wire from wiper motor back to ground and it produced the same result as when the hatch is shut - wiper stops working. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this as I have way too many hours wrapped up in working on this. Thanks.

stigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
bend
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Could you put a volt meter on the power for the motor when the hatch is closed? I'm wondering if closing the door is cutting your power
bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same thing happen a year after I repaired mine. How did you repair? Solder? butt splice? Were you able to stuff all the wires back into the rubber boot? It's a tight fit and it sounds like the wires are losing contact.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
stigers

It's definitely either a cut in power or something with the ground once the hatch latches. I'll try the volt meter to see if I can narrow it down. Can't say I fully understand testing electrical systems in cars. I can say this though, it's very frustrating that I'm so close to getting the rear wiper to work again, but not quite there. I also found several broken wires between the drivers side door and the body yesterday that when I fixed them, my back windows started working again. Thought I'd have the same luck when I found the broken wire to the rear hatch. To user "sbxj", I just used nylon butt splices. It's hard working on these wires with the rubber boot between the hatch and the body. I actually pushed the boot all the way from between the hatch and vehicle to the inside of the vehicle so I could get at the wires easier. It was a bear when I had to get the boot back. In retrospect, I should've detached the wires from the harness and then tried to pull the wires all the way back through into the vehicle. However, even though I used butt splices, I made sure I had very tight connections. I then taped everything firmly before putting boot back in place. I didn't feel the wires were pinched or too tight in the boot. I really don't think the problem is in the boot because I can close the hatch all the way down until just before the latches make contact. When they do, it's no go. I read on another post though that the wiper shouldn't be working when the hatch is open, but only when it's closed. I have the reverse. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think you may have pinched the wires.
What I did was cut the rubber boot off cleanly, pulled all the wires through to repair. The wires won't fit in the boot as well once spliced so I put the boot on after wrapping it with silicone tape and small zip ties in case I have to fix it again. Just a thought.
FYI, I went with solder/heat shrink butt splices the 2nd time around. They are the only way to go.
Good Luck

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
justanotherjpr

Open the harness back up and splice the wires further back in the body and down the hatch.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
stigers

Will have to wait until next weekend to get back into this, but I'll check the wires from harness back into the hatch area further and see if any others are broken or getting pinched. Thanks for the replies and advice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.