2000 cherokee overheats and has no heat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 cherokee overheats and has no heat

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

2000 cherokee overheats and has no heat

so my son was driving his jeep last night and the temp gauge shot up in two large steps... once to just before the red lines and then all the way to 260. I replaced the thermostat thinking that might be the issue. I removed it last night and drove it home without overheating, but after replacing it we took it for a ride and all was good for about 4 miles then the temp shot up waited and then went to 260. We turned on the heater, but no heat at all??? Any ideas??

jlsalani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Air in the cooling system would create those symptoms. Make sure the system is free of air pockets by starting it and letting it warm up to normal temp while idling. Shut it off and let the overflow tank suck in what is required to deal with the air pockets (the overflow tank must be full when you do this.)

Repeat a couple of times to insure the proper purging is complete. THEN go for a test drive.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Newb1995jeepgc

low coolent... clogged radiater, if u replaced the thermostat thats all i can think of.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6- 133***
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I don't recall if you can put the t-stat in backwards--I know you can on some vehicles. It's possible the new one could also be bad. Heater core could be clogged as well.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
scottxj96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Get cooling system cleaner. first and cheapest step.. next take the thermostat out and run it to see if it over heats.. if it still overheats then its obvious you have a blockage problem.. check the line going from the radiator to the thermostat while its running and if theres no flow then a waterpump could be likely. im accually about to change mine in an hour or so..

Take some of the variables that rely on each other to eliminate the next issue till boom! fixed hahah
scottxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

First of all, you have an 01, which has the infamous "0331 head" which is susceptible to cracking upon an overheat. You want to fix this RIGHT AWAY, RIGHT AWAY!!!

T-stat can't be installed backwards on these.

What is the history of routine cooling system maintenance? It might be a good idea to replace the radiator, water pump and cap. Overkill? Not so with an 01. These parts are not that expensive and knowing that a single overheat can toast the head and lead to engine damage makes this project more appealing.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
will1266
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem a few years ago and I did all the regular checks & flushed everything. Ultimately it turned out to be the waterpump had rusted off the individual impeller blades so there was just a flat plate spinning in there not moving any coolant. Kind of a PITA to pull it off to verify. I don't know if you can pull the lower radiator hose from the pump and use a mirror and flashlight and look into the pump but it might be worth a try instead of pulling the pump off for nothing.
will1266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Heap-O-Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rescued my XJ from neglect the cooling system was totally inoperative! you cannot put the thermostat in backwards. the housing is not deep enough. i found this out by trying a stant thermostat and the head is too big to fit into the aftermarket housing someone had put on this rig. broke down and went to the jeep dealer and got a new housing and factory thermostat.it fit perfectly. I also had the same problem that will1266 had. the impeller rust away so bad it looked like a chinese throwing star. So to conclude i replaced everything in my cooling system....rad,pump,t-stat and housing,all hoses and the heater core.yes i did pull the dash and when i did i replaced the evaporator core because they do leak! and why remove a dashboard twice, but check your heater core for flow first. just simply take the hose off the thermostat housing and the water pump and use a garden hose to flush it out. very simple and easy..if it flows out as fast as it flows in your fine. i use whats called the spill free funnel to fill my cooling systems it has a cap adapter with a hole that the funnel attaches to and i fill it up till its halfway in the funnel and run the engine till it burps all air and thermostat opens usually good to go. the weight of the fluid helps the pump push the air out. good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.