2000 Cherokee Oil Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee Oil Pressure

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
eyebrowski

2000 Cherokee Oil Pressure

I am getting a low oil pressure reading when warm and idling. Where can I tap in to check the oil pressure mechanically? There is a plug on top of the oil filter assembly with a brass fitting, can I tap in here? Does anyone know the thread size? Thank you.

Greg

eyebrowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Dannyboy18

How low? My brother's dips down to around 20-30 when it's fully warmed up and idling. Mine does the same.
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
curtjames37
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE CHECK
(1) Disconnect connector and remove oil pressure sending unit.
(2) Install Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool C-3292 or equivalent. Start engine and record pressure.

The FSM states that a min of 13 psi at 600 rpm and 25-35 psi at 800 rpm is required. The first step listed in diagnosing low pressure is the replacement of the sending unit.
curtjames37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
eyebrowski

It reads practically nothing on the oil pressure gauge and the check engine light comes on. There is no noticeable mechanical noise to indicate a problem and I just had the oil pump replaced.

Is the oil pressure sending unit the connector on the filter assembly I am referring to in my first post?
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
curtjames37
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebrowski
It reads practically nothing on the oil pressure gauge and the check engine light comes on. There is no noticeable mechanical noise to indicate a problem and I just had the oil pump replaced.

Is the oil pressure sending unit the connector on the filter assembly I am referring to in my first post?
Yep. Chances are it just needs replaced. They are kind of notorious for going bad.
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
eyebrowski

Does anyone happen to know the thread size/type on that fitting?
Unread 05-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
eyebrowski

1/8 NPT maybe?
Unread 05-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
severous01

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebrowski
1/8 NPT maybe?
no, it's a special socket designed for chrystler only sending units. you can use a metric (18 or 19), but it's not a direct fit and if it's on there good you'll round the corners. i had to 'borrow' a special socket for mine....didnt want to come off.

but if you're talking about the metal part that's attached to the metal part that actually screws into the oil filter adapter...that's a standard pipe fitting...NPT, and i'm thinkin maybe 1/4 or 5/16.
Unread 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
curtjames37
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I think it is a little bigger than 1/4 so 5/16 might be it. Don't quote me on that though I am just going from memory so it might not be accurate.

I got the sending unit off with a pair of channel locks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.