2000 Cherokee fuel injectors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee fuel injectors

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-08-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
richarddeel

2000 Cherokee fuel injectors

Does anyone know how many lbs/hr the stock fuel injectors are on a 2000 Cherokee and if there is a way to buy injectors that can provide more fuel or is there a way to modify the stock one's to supply more fuel? I am looking into converting to E-85 fuel because of the hp boost and more mpg's. I looked at the flextek box but was thinking I could do the same with bigger injectors. If anyone has tried this I could use your experience in the matter. Thanks in advance.

richarddeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Keep in mind that your gas mileage with E85 will be somewhere between 15-28% LOWER than with regular gasoline. Independent tests on various OEM Flex Fuel Vehicles are running on an average of a 25% mileage penalty with using E85. Search around on the web if you want to verify this. The composition of E85 fuel burns quite differently than regular gasoline.

So to determine if E85 is a good deal, you have to do the math. Factor in the difference in the fuel prices and then factor in the mileage differences. You may not be quite as excited about E85 after this exercise. Most people that use E85 are not doing so because of environmental reasons, not economic ones.

I would question any hp gains with E85 as well but will let somebody else comment on that.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure what the injector rating is for a 2000, but I would guess somewhere around 18 or 19. I am pretty sure that it has changed slightly over the years to some degree. Most guys going to a stroked engine end up running mustang injectors (22). Maybe search on mustang injectors and stroker for more ideas or try the street section or a strokers e-mail list (there's one on yahoo).
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
JEEPINWI

The 2000 injectors are 22.5 lb/hr at 49 psi. Also, the injectors commonly used in strokers are 24 lb/hr Ford Motorsports injectors. The ones in my stroker are from an 03 Mustang Cobra, rated at 25 lb/hr.

Last edited by JEEPINWI; 12-08-2007 at 08:55 AM..
JEEPINWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
richarddeel

Thanks everyone, this is just the info I was looking for. I have been researching the E-85 fuel for a couple of weeks now since reading an article in Hot Rod Mag about how some cars gained hp just from the fuel. I am not sure if it is a good move economically, but maybe it will run cleaner. Thanks for all the info and I will keep everyone up to date if I decide to switch and how it works out.
richarddeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

From Auto Advisor.com E85 can produce more HP because it has a higher octane rating than gasoline. However vehicles using it will have a 25% shorter cruising range than on gasoline.
You cannot run E85 unless you have a flex-fuel system because it has the total system that recognizes the fuel being used and uses its specific computer to set mixture etc.
Also, increased octane means nothing unless the engine is modified to take advantage of it. Just like running "super premium" high octane fuel in a car with a stock 87 octane motor will not yield more power, E85 will not make more horses unless the engine is modified to take advantage of the octane increase. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
pgdyk
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with filluptrk. You need engine modifications to take full advantage of the benifits of E85, which is really only its high octane properties (103 I think?) A higher compression or forced induction engine is really the only way to go with E85, but then you have to only run it, and not go back to low octane gas because of the risk of detonation and whatnot. There's more to it than just swapping injectors and filling up the tank.
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Pure Ethanol is about 106 Octane. You need much higher compression than the stock 8.3:1 in your '00 to take advantage of the higher octane. The drawback is that ethanol only makes 60% of the btu/lb of gasoline. You need to burn much more alcohol than gasoline. If it was as easy as changing injectors, we'd have done it a long time ago.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.