2000 Cherokee A/C Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee A/C Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2000 Cherokee A/C Problem

Hello, I'm posting this for a good friend who just bought a 2000 Cherokee. It has about 85k miles on it and is in great shape.

He noticed that when the A/C is first turned on that it blows cold, but that after a while it becomes less cold and eventually is blowing outdoor temperature air.

Has anyone experienced this? It seems like it would always blow hot if the refrigerant was low. I thought maybe a lose belt or the A/C Compressor is going up. The lady that sold it took very good care of the vehicle and had it serviced regularly (I haven't seen it yet, but suspect that the belts are all good and tight).

Thanks in Advance.

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
rolltide
1989 YJ Wrangler 

had same problem with my 2000 cherokee, when i test drove it worked great, bought it,and would stop working , my compressor was locking down after about 10 min. of super cold air,nothing.dealership replaced and it worked for about 8 months with new compressor.died again - trash in system from old compressor,raised cain with dealer, got new compressor at cost ,and replaced entire rest of a/c system ,and heater core,while im in there, 1100.oo $ and 1 yr later working great , not cheap hope this is not his problem.
rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, now he's getting what appears to be HEAT through his A/C system. I wonder if his temperature control cable fell off? Would the knob feel lose if the cable were to come off? Does the 2000 model even use a cable, or is it more like a Resistor.

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
cherokee99spt

I have a 99 and it starts out as ice cold ac and then heat sowly mixes in until its feels normal because its a mix of ac and heat which balance each other out. Sometimes after a long time the ac will kick in full gear and cool things down. Probably not any help but thats what happens with mine.

[QUOTE=KMcNaught]If the owner of a Hummer ever threatens to crush your Jeep there is a simple means of escape; just drive off the road.[/QUOTE]
cherokee99spt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.