2000 4.0 runs rough at 45 mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2000 4.0 runs rough at 45 mph

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
DiveFlyFun

2000 4.0 runs rough at 45 mph

When I leave home there is a six mile stretch. For some reason my Cherokee runs rough and sometime backfires if I punch it at 45 mpg. Its runs great at all the other speeds/times. Any ideas why I have this problem? Thanks

DiveFlyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Test the O2 Sensor and the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Inspect their wire plugs and wire harnesses for damaged and/or chafed insulation.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
DiveFlyFun

O2 sensors already replace...will check the coolant sensor. Thanks
Unread 01-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

*Assuming that you haven't seen a check engine light? If so, must retrieve codes for guidance.

*Good idea to check the coolant temperature sensor

*I would verify fuel pressure with a stone cold engine and see if it is in spec., which is 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi. I have seen a fuel pump be marginal at initial start up after which pressure stabilizes after engine has run a bit.....

Good luck and keep us updated!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
DiveFlyFun

Replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the problem is gone. I would have never thought of that sensor...thank you very much for your help!!!
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Glad it was a simple fix.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.