2" leaf spring recommendations please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question 2" leaf spring recommendations please

Cant really find anything on this as everyone that goes 2" does AAL; my springs are shot, so I need all new.

Going with 2" cause it is mostly a daily and will never see hardcore offroading and I dont want all the troubles and mods that come with 3"+. Although I would love the extra clearance.

Still deciding on the front. Prob just isolators, but prob couldn't hurt to just go ahead and replace.

Appreciate any help.

2001 NV3550 w/8.25

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Drax
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would go with Dorman stock replacement springs, which give about 1" over stock. They have rubber bushings and a stock-like ride. About $100 each.
Combine those with the Rough Country shackle relocation kit and longer shackles. This will give you the height you need and also keep the proper shackle angle for a nice ride. For the front, coil spacers will suffice. Adding bar pin eliminators front and rear will let you use stock length shocks.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 PM
jordan96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would also recommend the dormans. They will give a solid 1" over stock (with the shackle recommendation above to get the 2" you want). I just did mine a few weeks ago and they are still sitting a little over 1.5" over stock, with some weight in the cargo area (about 70 lbs of gear). I'll be adding 1" spacers up front to even it all out, and then probably go to 30" tires (running 235s right now). Got them for $100 shipped to door (2 day shipping from amazon). With bushings already in place.

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH

post #4 of 18 Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! It seems reviewers say these squeak really bad till settled. Remedies?
Also said that they take a few months to settle. That could give me a break from the costs all at once cause I could buy the shackles later. Thoughts?

Best place to buy?
post #5 of 18 Old 05-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Drax
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Thanks guys! It seems reviewers say these squeak really bad till settled. Remedies?
Also said that they take a few months to settle. That could give me a break from the costs all at once cause I could buy the shackles later. Thoughts?

Best place to buy?

Mine don't squeak at all and haven't budged in ride height since the install, last July. Though I did add additional leafs for more lift. These springs have plastic spacers and rubber bushings. Springs with urethane bushings will squeak. There are 87 reviews on Amazon and the worst is a 4 out of 5 star rating. I doubt these are the squeaky springs you were told of.

Absolutely you can wait on the shackles. Put the leafs in and if you think that's high enough, you can save yourself the trouble. Then get 1" coil spacers and you should be golden.

Do a google search for Dorman 929-301 and see what the best prices are. Make sure to factor in if shipping is included. Also send a PM to Kolak here on the forum. He may be able to help.

Just an FYI, the front bolts on my factory leaf springs were seized to the metal sleeves in the bushings. Had to cut, grind and curse them out. Yours may not be in as bad a shape but if they are, it's no picnic.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 AM
jordan96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just put in the dormans and they have not squeaked (doing about 80 miles per/day). I did spray them with Fluid Film when I installed them, so I don't know if they would have squeaked if I had just left them as they were.

AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
post #7 of 18 Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

jordan can you link me to the deal you found?
post #8 of 18 Old 05-17-2016, 08:15 AM
jordan96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, just checked, and this stinks but they have been messing with the produce since I bought it just a few weeks ago. I got it with "prime" at $100. Then for a couple of weeks it was listed as "prime" but for $155, then today it is listed as "not prime" at $136 with $13 shipping. Its a shame because the deal I got was on there for months before I purchased, and now they are changing it a lot. In any case, here is the link:

By the way, I believe Advanced also carries them for $140. (at least no shipping).

http://amzn.com/B005VPS358

AeroKroil and Fluid Film
post #9 of 18 Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan96xj View Post
Alright, just checked, and this stinks but they have been messing with the produce since I bought it just a few weeks ago. I got it with "prime" at $100. Then for a couple of weeks it was listed as "prime" but for $155, then today it is listed as "not prime" at $136 with $13 shipping. Its a shame because the deal I got was on there for months before I purchased, and now they are changing it a lot. In any case, here is the link:

By the way, I believe Advanced also carries them for $140. (at least no shipping).

http://amzn.com/B005VPS358
If you check the "Other Sellers" section on that page, they are still available on Amazon Prime for $99.97 each.

I bought my Crown HD springs through Prime as well, paid $155 shipped for the pair (no bushings though).

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 AM
jordan96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I made a video during my dorman spring swap. I wouldn't call it a how-to video, not quite detailed enough. But it was my first attempt at doing a jeep repair video.

AeroKroil and Fluid Film
post #11 of 18 Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

LMAO, they are on sale again and are also on Prime! But.....
"Usually ships withing 1 to 2 months"
Seriously! WTF
post #12 of 18 Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 AM
vowbeachbum
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used the heavy duty crown.they ride great don't squeak and gave me lift I needed.over 6 months so far so good.and I haul a lot of wood from home depo lol.i have these leafs and 2 inch shackles and 3 inch front springs from rustys.gave me a nice even lift.paired with Rubicon red and black shocks.i love the ride
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11_07.htm

1998 jeep Cherokee sport
post #13 of 18 Old 06-01-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Does this give you a total of 3" over stock?
post #14 of 18 Old 06-01-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Did you have to change anything else? Trackbar, TC lower, etc?
post #15 of 18 Old 06-04-2016, 05:43 PM
vowbeachbum
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a ironrock track bar.no tc drop.and extended sway bar links up front.only cuz my stocks snapped after hitting pothole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.