2" BB - Shackles vs AAL? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2" BB - Shackles vs AAL?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

View Poll Results: Rear - 2" Shackles VS. Add A Leaf
Shackles 0 0%
AAL 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
sannethemanny
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2" BB - Shackles vs AAL?

Just as the title says; Which one is going to be better in the long run?

My 2000 xj rear does not sag at all right now, I do not do any heavy off-roading. Most off-road I do is on some pretty moderate-light 4-wheeler trail during hunting season.

Also, could these types of lift cause the "death-wobble?" Just curious because I would like being able to go 75 mph and have a smooth ride still.

Edit: I try to keep the back end pretty light and just have the necessities to help the mpg since it's my DD.

Unread 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 2 inch budget boost with shackles and stock springs rode and drove well on 30x9.50s. I was really pleased with it for similar usage. Then I got 3 inch x 2 1/2 inch coils and leaf packs with control arms. The Cherokee handles better, rides better, looks better. The BB did not cause any death wobble on mine, neither did the spring lift.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Longer shackles will cause your pinion angle to go up, which can cause drive line vibrations.
Adding a new leaf to a pack of old leafs can cause the old leafs to wear out faster.
The best way would be to buy all new 2" lift springs.

Having said that, I would suggest Shackle Relocation Brackets and extended shackles.
Installing the shackles at 45 degrees would net you about 2" over stock and improve ride quality on and off road.
Once they are installed, if you get vibrations, you can measure your angles and decide how to fix it.
Read up on it here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#Introduction or here: http://www.4xshaft.com/ Click Tech Info at the top of the page, then select slopes vs angles followed by geometry 101.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
crawler4xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had the BB on my jeep when I bought it. It was VERY stiff. I now have the rubicon express leaf pack on the rear. I got them on Amazon for $117 shipped iirc. SMOOTH ride. I know this post is subjective. But, there you have it. Oh, I keep the 1" shackles on also. Love the ride now. Do it right the first time.

Forgot to add. NO VIBS or death wobble. NONE.
1997 Cherokee XJ, 4.0. "703" injectors, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, k&n intake, performance header, 2.5" exhaust (from header to tail pipe). Comp cam "231" and performance head. 4:10, rear lsd, front E-Locker. 32" dura-tracs. Zone lift, rear rubicon leaf pack with 1" shackles. 30" LED light bar.

Last edited by crawler4xj; 06-12-2013 at 01:15 PM..
crawler4xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.