2.5 vs. 4.0 exhaust down pipe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2.5 vs. 4.0 exhaust down pipe

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
2002sport
1986 XJ Cherokee 

2.5 vs. 4.0 exhaust down pipe

Does anyone know if the exhaust down pipe (the one between the manifold and the catalytic converter) is the same for the 4 cylinder and the 6? I have this problem when I was told that my exhaust manifold has a leak and it turned out that it was the coupler where it attaches to the bottom end of the manifold (See pic below). Most guys on craigslist that are parting out their xjs have the 4.0 but I have the 2.5 engine. A muffler shop quoted me $100 but I have a guy willing to sell me a downpipe for $10 but he has a 4.0 engine.

2002sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
gistecknician

4Cyl and 6 Cyl downpipes are not compatible. But you can purchase a new downpipe for roughly $60 at autozone or your local big-box autoparts store. One thing I always recommend when replacing stock exhaust piping is to give it a coating of high heat rust preventative paint prior to installation.

AutoZone Part # 349490

Good Luck
gistecknician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
2002sport
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Hey thanks for your reply and taking the time to look it up. My neighbor actually referred me to a muffler shop that reflared that end for me for $30 bucks so it's quiet as a mouse now. Well, not really - now I can hear the power steering pump whine and that'll be the next project.

Thanks again.
2002sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.