2.5 I4 timing chain noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2.5 I4 timing chain noise

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 11-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

2.5 I4 timing chain noise

Im looking into buying another XJ. Its a 96 2door 5spd, beautiful condition. Its a 4banger though. It runs nice but has what sounds to me like time chain tensioner noise. Is this a common problem with the 2.5's? What are some other issues with the 2.5's?
Thanks.

RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Bump.......
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
fufanu360

what exactly does this noise sound like?
fufanu360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Like a soft knock/ratle that turns into a whuring sound as rpm is increased. Its deffienently coming from the timing chain though.
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
anony91xj

Neither the 2.5 nor the 4.0 have a lot of problems like that. If the deal is cheap enough, I'd get it and fix the chain when/if it goes. They're not interference motors, so it's really not that big a deal.
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
x99j

you are better off asking this question in the yj section, since alot of yj's were produced with this motor and not alot of xj's. i have a 91 yj with the 2.5 the diesel sound you are hearing is normal and is the timing chain tensioner. mine has done ever since i bought it in 1999 with 60,000 on the odo. it does sound like a meat grinder though.

this noise is not in the 4.0l because the 4.0l has a different set up for the chain. mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys, its not an annoying sound, cant even hear it inside so i may just wait till i replace the timing chain to look at it. The deal is very good, other wise i prob wouldnt be buyin a 4 banger. Its a truly mint body and interior. 160,000 miles, new waterpump, rad., hoses, new full exhuast. 8.25 rear which im pretty sure may be a 29 spline becuase the build date is december of 96.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.