Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1999 XJ no parking lights

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jglassman888 
#1 ·
Ok guys and gals I have a 1999 XJ I had a problem with the alternator over charging to like 19 volts because of a bad ground. It caused all types of problems making my jeep not crank sometimes and jerk going down the road causing my CPS, CKS to read bad. Got that fixed and it runs great. Then my headlights stopped working along with my dash lights, all other lights worked fine. Found my headlights and my lights in my instrument panel were blown. Put new headlights in and they work fine but now my parking lights (front and rear) will not work. Brake lights, back up lights, and turn signals all work. I have power coming from the headlight switch as well as the dimmer switch but get nothing at the plug for the running lights. Any ideas what it could be or what to check next? Also no fuses are blown. Please I need some help!

#2 ·
Your brakes, turn signals, and reverse lights, are all separate circuits from the parking lights. First check power at the fuses (both sides), then move down the harness towards the sockets until you find the break in power. If you do not have power at the fuse move up the the circuit back towards the switch. How did you confirm there was no power at the bulbs? If using a multi-meter you should be using a ground separate from the lighting harness. If the ground in the lighting is bad you would register no power since the ground is not present. Also check the mini fuse under the hood labeled headlight/ data link connector.

#3 ·
The mini fuse under the hood labeled headlight / data link connector where is that at? I did use a multi meter with a separate ground to check voltage at the socket. I will recheck the power to the fuses this afternoon. Just not sure why they worked until I changed the headlights

#4 ·
In the under hood fuse box. If that is not the issue you can also try pulling the headlight switch slowly out. If you can get them to come one in a partially engaged switch position, then you need a new switch.

#5 ·
Ok so I can get the lights to come on by pulling the switch out slowly but they don't stay on when I get to the correct position. Bought a new switch from NAPA and the same thing. I can get the lights to work by putting a jumper wire from the power into the harness and then to the parking lights. Hook the switch up and nothing. Any ideas what to check next?

#6 ·
Hot wired with no switch and it works ? 2x Switches plugged and it doesn't work ? I would suspect the switches and try another brand of switch, or get a genuine Jeep switch.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a 99 xj limited turns, hazard and brake lights work but no parking light or side markers, has LEDs but different styles in the front the 2 centers are are different than the 2 outers, had a melt down after that but got everything working again but not just the parking lights don't work, third brake light even works, could someone tell me where all the grounds are, I'm thinking it's gotta be a hidden ground, please help , it's my wife's and I want her safe, but first I'm gonna try putting in all the same led parking lights in the front,even replaced headlight switch too had to temporarily hot wire the headlights and brake lights to turn on when the things running, the rear running lights work just not the under lamp parking lights or side markers don't work, do you the the LEDs for the running lights shorted when the melt down happened cos I had just those on when the headlight switch caused the fuse which also powers the OBD2 power caused the melt, I cleaned as many grounds as I could find too, I need help which grounds am I not finding, it's not the hatch harness or the headlights switch high and lows work too, could the parking part of the LEDs shorted leaving the turns to work or would the entire led not work?

#10 ·
did you use a relay for the LED lights. or just connect new blubs ? if you have turn signal lights but no running light ummmmm damn scratching mez head. pull the bulbs turn the bulb 180 degrees and push into place, any difference now dont bother placing the cover on untill you have all lights working. id go buy all new same style and make of blubs and see if that helps you. im checking my book about grounds ill be right back. check junction block fuse #23 10 amp...grounds each side under hood both # 10 mm on bracket for the top of the radiator these two #10 are in the horizontal position each have small blk wire that goes to the front turn running lights..my book shows side running lights also use the same ground. id unscrew the small bolt and clean off the point of contact and the wire it self. bolt it up and see if you have side marker light working...if not remove side marker bracket which holds the bulbs and cover look for any burned look to them. if so time to get some from a local junk yard or web search ROCK AUTO go to jeep then cherokee the year, then look for lighting and buy two side marker light holders white plastic where you put bulb in then attach yellow cover or shaded cover which ever you have.. good luck on your XJ hope you find the trouble...

#11 ·
I have a 99 xj limited turns, hazard and brake lights work but no parking light or side markers, has LEDs but different styles in the front the 2 centers are are different than the 2 outers, had a melt down after that but got everything working again but not just the parking lights don't work, third brake light even works, could someone tell me where all the grounds are, I'm thinking it's gotta be a hidden ground, please help , it's my wife's and I want her safe, but first I'm gonna try putting in all the same led parking lights in the front,even replaced headlight switch too had to temporarily hot wire the headlights and brake lights to turn on when the things running, the rear running lights work just not the under lamp parking lights or side markers don't work, do you the the LEDs for the running lights shorted when the melt down happened cos I had just those on when the headlight switch caused the fuse which also powers the OBD2 power caused the melt, I cleaned as many grounds as I could find too, I need help which grounds am I not finding, it's not the hatch harness or the headlights switch high and lows work too, could the parking part of the LEDs shorted leaving the turns to work or would the entire led not work?
did you use a relay for the LED lights. or just connect new blubs ? if you have turn signal lights but no running light ummmmm damn scratching mez head. pull the bulbs turn the bulb 180 degrees and push into place, any difference now dont bother placing the cover on untill you have all lights working. id go buy all new same style and make of blubs and see if that helps you. im checking my book about grounds ill be right back. check junction block fuse #23 10 amp...grounds each side under hood both # 10 mm on bracket for the top of the radiator these two #10 are in the horizontal position each have small blk wire that goes to the front turn running lights..my book shows side running lights also use the same ground. id unscrew the small bolt and clean off the point of contact and the wire it self. bolt it up and see if you have side marker light working...if not remove side marker bracket which holds the bulbs and cover look for any burned look to them. if so time to get some from a local junk yard or web search ROCK AUTO go to jeep then cherokee the year, then look for lighting and buy two side marker light holders white plastic where you put bulb in then attach yellow cover or shaded cover which ever you have.. good luck on your XJ hope you find the trouble...
Everything did work great and turns out the headlights switch shorted and even melted fuses interior, I'm gonna replace the interior panel cause it's hot wired now but I want it stock and the fuse that melted inside is the marker and parking lights fuse cavity but I definitely will check those grounds, I e had it a a shop for a month now so that's why it's hot wired so my wife can work, but the guy there said the interior fuse block is just plug and go or play however he said bring him that fuse block and done, he seemed sure of it and he's the one that hot wired it so he needs to un hot wire it also, lol, such a pain, why did they make such a great vehicle with the worst wiring, but thanks brother keep ideas coming everything helps sincerely jesse

#12 ·
Everything did work great and turns out the headlights switch shorted and even melted fuses interior, I'm gonna replace the interior panel cause it's hot wired now but I want it stock and the fuse that melted inside is the marker and parking lights fuse cavity but I definitely will check those grounds, I e had it a a shop for a month now so that's why it's hot wired so my wife can work, but the guy there said the interior fuse block is just plug and go or play however he said bring him that fuse block and done, he seemed sure of it and he's the one that hot wired it so he needs to un hot wire it also, lol, such a pain, why did they make such a great vehicle with the worst wiring, but thanks brother keep ideas coming everything helps sincerely jesse
And if he knows how to hot wire it like he did he definitely knows some stuff