1999 XJ Fuel gauge issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1999 XJ Fuel gauge issue

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
getemduck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

1999 XJ Fuel gauge issue

I've been off the board for a while Things have been crazy this winter for me, but i'm back to tinkering with my XJ and have a small issue I'm trying to trouble shoot. Last fall my XJ left me walking, I turned it off and it would not start. some guys swore it was the fuel pump and started hitting the bottom of the tank till I yelled at them to leave it alone. I went and got my truck towed it home and found it to be my crank positioning sensor. Easy enough fix, then the next week I was driving it to work and she died 50 yards short of the parking lot....was not a fun push. I knew the gas gauge was low but I always had a fuel light when she go real low. I had no light so i call a mechanic friend of mine as i was at work and could not work on it, he came up and after looking at it he hit the fuel tank with his hand and it was empty so he ran and got me some gas and dumped it in and she fired right up. So she is running good no issues other then the fuel gauge is jacked up so did the guys bust my sending unit when hitting the tank or is it electrical since my fuel light didn't come on? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated I hope to take a serious look at it this weekend.

getemduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Could be the sender, search on how to test it. But if that is inconclusive it could be the gauge.
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
getemduck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The gauge moves, it's not stuck up or down, I am just empty at 1/4 tank rather then at E. ???
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm, thinking sender is getting stuck, or off.
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
sicma99ot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mostlikely sender. It would be great it it was recalled.ive had this problem twice.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
getemduck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Have similar issue...am replacing fuel pump assy. $300 bucks for a bosch....but it sure beats walking down the interstate @ 2a.m.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.