1998 XJ Cherokee Crankshaft position sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1998 XJ Cherokee Crankshaft position sensor

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1998 XJ Cherokee Crankshaft position sensor

So I was driving the other night my 1998 XJ Cherokee (6 cylinder, 4.0L) and my check engine light came on. It was later at night, so nothing that could be done about it that night and I was going to get it read in the morning. Next time I tried to start the car that night, it wouldn't crank. Tried jumping it, but that didn't work. We left it in the parking lot overnight and were able to get it cranked the next morning.

Autozone read the check engine code, and it said that the camshaft position sensor was bad. So we went inside and looked it up and according to her system, a 98 Cherokee doesn't have a camshaft position sensor. She said sometimes when it said that the camshaft position sensor is bad and that vehicle doesn't have one, it's the crankshaft position sensor that actually needs to be replaced.

I have no knowledge on either of these parts, but I just don't want to replace something that I don't need to currently. The truck won't crank now, but it doesn't seem to be the battery as I've hooked it up to a charger/jump starter and it still won't crank. Is a bad crankshaft position sensor something that could potentially cause the truck not to crank, or does it sound like it might be something else?

Also, I can see the sensor underneed the body of the vehicle, but I can't seem to get a wrench in there to break the bolts loose. Any advice from anyone out there who has done this replacement before?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

sting7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What code(s) did the Autozone puke give you? P0336? P0341? Any other code?

P0336 is problem with voltage from CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor) and P0341 is problem with voltage signal from CMP (Camshaft Position Sensor).

The '98 4.0 does have a Camshaft Position Sensor, it's in the distributor.

You may want to search this forum for help in changing the crank position sensor - there's plenty of threads about it. When you search you may find that the crankshaft position sensor is referred to as a "CPS" instead of "CKP", so try different combonations of search words.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ken is on the right track, exactly what Check Engine Light (CEL) trouble codes were downloaded ? Your Cherokee is trying to tell you what is wrong, and the codes will provide specific and detailed information for testing and diagnostics.

The 4.0L XJ Cherokee has both a Camshaft and a Crankshaft Position Sensor. Either one can cause the engine to not run.

Cranking is always in reference to when the starter engages and makes the starter sounds, and the engine turns over slowly. If cranking is successful, the engine starts up and runs. Is you Cherokee not cranking, or not starting up ?

The easiest way to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is to use about 3 foot of socket extensions, a wobble adapter, and have a helper guide the socket onto the bolts. If you have no helper, or shortage of socket extensions you can remove the front drive shaft from the transfer case and reach up to the CPS. Remove the upper bolt first and then the lower. Replace the lower bolt first, and then the upper. DO NOT drop a bolt into the open hole.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the replies so far. I'll have to double check the readout slip when I get home from work, but I believe they said the code was 0011 and it just said "Camshaft Position Sensor." I'll check again when I get home.

As for the cranking vs starting, it won't start would be more accurate. I apologize for the bad terminology. I'm still learning when it comes to vehicle work. Thanks.
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The crankshaft position sensor isn't to bad to change. A helper makes your life 100x easier. My ratchet was near the rear tire.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting7785 View Post
I'm still learning when it comes to vehicle work. Thanks.
Hang in there brother. This is a good forum to learn about working on your Jeep.

Get that crankshaft position sensor changed and let us know what's up.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
What code(s) did the Autozone puke give you? P0336? P0341? Any other code?
Well I can't find the read slip with the codes on it currently, but I know that it said 2 things on it. It said Camshaft position sensor, which they later told me wasn't in my vehicle, and it also said timing chain. Any idea which of these would be more likely to be the culprit? I'm going to track down a Haynes manual today and see what I can get apart.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haynes manuals and IdiotZone have the same level of ignorance. The IdiotZone people are friendly and try to be helpful, but in most cases they do not know what they are talking about. Once you go past oil changes, tune-ups, and brake jobs, Haynes and Chilton's are useless and have some errors.

The exact codes are required for accurate diagnostics. A genuine Jeep Factory Service Manual will save you its purchase price on your first repair. It contains a full list of the CEL trouble codes, and explains exactly how to inspect and test each part and system. I has diagnostic check lists to find the source of the problem and diagrams so you can locate any part or system.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, found the slip. Here's everything is says:

Troubleshooting P0340
OEM Brand: Domestic

Definition
Camsensor condition
Explanation
The camshaft position sensor signal is monitored for errors
Probable cause
1 - Cam sensor bad
2 - Check connector and wiring to sensor
3 - Engine mechanical condition-timing belt/chain out of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
A genuine Jeep Factory Service Manual will save you it purchase price on your first repair. It contains a full list of the CEL trouble codes, and explains exactly how to inspect and test each part and system. I has diagnostic check lists to find the source of the problem and diagrams so you can locate any part or system.
Are these factory service manuals only available from the dealerships, or is it something I can find at my local NAPA? Thanks again for the replies.
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Factory Service Manuals are available on-line and sometimes come up on eBay.

Test or replace the CPK often called the Camshaft Pickup. Make sure the wire connector is clean and free of corrosion.

The Camshaft Position Sensor ( CPK ) is located in the distributor.

For this test, an analog (non-digital) voltmeter is needed. Do not remove the distributor connector from the distributor. Using small paper clips, insert them into the backside of the distributor wire harness connector to make contact with the terminals. Be sure that the connector is not damaged when inserting the paper clips. Attach voltmeter leads to these paper clips.
1. Connect the positive (+) voltmeter lead into the sensor output wire. This is at done the distributor wire harness connector.
2. Connect the negative (-) voltmeter lead into the ground wire.
3. Set the voltmeter to the 15 Volt DC scale.
4. Remove distributor cap from distributor (two screws). Rotate (crank) the engine until the distributor rotor is approximately in the 11 o'clock position. The movable pulse ring should now be within the sensor pickup.
5. Turn ignition key to ON position. Voltmeter should read approximately 5.0 volts.
6. If voltage is not present, check the voltmeter leads for a good connection.
7. If voltage is still not present, check for voltage at the supply wire.
8. If 5 volts is not present at supply wire, check for voltage at PCM 32-way connector (cavity A-17). Leave the PCM connector connected for this test.
9. If voltage is still not present, perform vehicle test using the DRB scan tool.
10. If voltage is present at cavity A-17, but not at the supply wire:
a. Check continuity between the supply wire. This is checked between the distributor connector and cavity A-17 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
b. Check for continuity between the camshaft position sensor output wire and cavity A-18 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
c. Check for continuity between the ground circuit wire at the distributor connector and ground. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
11. While observing the voltmeter, crank the engine with ignition switch. The voltmeter needle should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts while the engine is cranking. This verifies that the camshaft position sensor in the distributor is operating properly and a sync pulse signal is being generated. If sync pulse signal is not present, replacement of the camshaft position sensor is necessary.
cam-position.jpg  

Unread 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and still it won't start up. Thanks CJ7-Tim for the suggestion about removing the drive shaft. It definitely made accessing the crankshaft position sensor much easier.

I'm not sure what to do about it possibly being the camshaft position sensor. If it is that, nowhere seems to sell it. I can't find it at any of the auto part stores around here, nor can I find it at any of the dealerships/websites that sell OEM Jeep parts.
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

JEEP #56041030

-NAPA # MP847
-STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX752 {#56041030}
-AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4P1250 {#56041030, }
-ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT Part # 6220 {#56041030, } w/ Dist# 56027028

Unread 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
JEEP #56041030

-NAPA # MP847
-STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX752 {#56041030}
-AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4P1250 {#56041030, }
-ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT Part # 6220 {#56041030, } w/ Dist# 56027028
Thank you so much. I was searching for the camshaft position sensor instead of calling it a pickup assembly, which I guess it why I couldn't get it to come up. Only 1 auto parts store around town has it in stock, so I'll see if I can get it tomorrow.

A friend of mine also suggested that it could be the timing chain is broken. Is there an reliable test for that other than pulling it out? I haven't looked into how to get to it yet since I was working on that other sensor. Thanks again for all the info.
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting7785 View Post
A friend of mine also suggested that it could be the timing chain is broken.
The Check Engine Light (CEL) codes should be your main diagnostic clue. Follow up CEL codes with testing of the sensors, components, or systems the code refers to.

A broken timing chain is uncommon, and would be an unlikely cause of your Check Engine Light (CEL).

Unread 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
sting7785
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The Check Engine Light (CEL) codes should be your main diagnostic clue. Follow up CEL codes with testing of the sensors, components, or systems the code refers to.

A broken timing chain is uncommon, and would be an unlikely cause of your Check Engine Light (CEL).
Camshaft pickup it is then. I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again for all the help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.