1998 jeep Cherokee sport. Help
Hey guys I need some help. About 2 minutes after I start up my jeep it has no Power it barely stays running. It lasts for about a minute or less and after that everything is good. I have replaced the fuel pump, tps, cps, spark plugs and wires. All those parts have been replaced in the last 5 months. This problem started happening about 2 weeks ago. Any help is appreciated. I drive a 1998 jeep Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
try getting your battery and alternator checked. a lot of places will do it for free. i had similar symptoms on my WJ. ended up being a bad battery.
2004 Grand Cherokee WJ Overland 4.7 HO V8 2WD Automatic (DD), 30" BFG AT
1995 Cherokee XJ Country 4.0 l6 4WD 5 Speed Manual, RC 3 in lift, 31" BFG MT KM2
- My enemy is anyone who is going to get me killed, regardless of whose side they are on.
I just got my alternator rebuilt to 190 amp. I am supposed to put a bigger power wire on it and I haven't yet. Could it be that? And he checked my battery right away he said it should be good till fall.
How did you get the alternator to 190 amps?
- '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
- Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
- Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
Close to where I live there's a guy that rebuilds starters and alternators for a living. He had built a jeep Cherokee alternator before to 190 amp for a guy that was doing sound competitions with 8 12" subs. He changed the case on it to a little bigger one and changed a bunch of internals. Not sure what all. But he did a good job
Are the parts OEM? also check and clean your IAC and throttle body.
96 Classic - 3" Lift - 31" BFG AT's - 29 spline 8.25 - 4.10's - Tow Hooks - RE track bar - RC Dif Guard - Cowl Intake - LeBaron Vents - Dynomax Catback - IRO H&T
Definately have your alternator and the battery checked by a third party
- HM1(SW/AW)Ret USN Dec 23,1992 to Dec 31, 2012
I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)
2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM
Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ
USN Jeep Club Hull #36
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
I would strongly recommend changing the O2 sensor(s)... I had a similar issue for about 3 years and changed almost every sensor, plugs, wires, coil, distro cap, rotor button, all vacuum lines, etc... Mine was bank one.. first one after the header
Last edited by BlackedOutXJ; 06-29-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: 3 years* not 30
|cherokee , no power|
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Jeep Forums||Replies||Last Post|
|1998 Jeep Cherokee sport Stalls||ewbenton||XJ Cherokee Technical Forum||25||08-26-2015 03:24 PM|
|1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD||crs46||XJ Cherokee Technical Forum||7||06-22-2011 10:14 AM|
|1998 jeep cherokee sport||juan0548||XJ Cherokee Technical Forum||5||06-22-2011 01:55 AM|
|1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport Utility SE 4D 4x4 6cyl||searcherrr||XJ Cherokee Technical Forum||16||06-14-2008 01:34 AM|
|1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport & Seats - help||smokingun||XJ Cherokee Technical Forum||3||12-04-2003 04:42 AM|