1998 Jeep Cherokee Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1998 Jeep Cherokee Problems

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1998 Jeep Cherokee Problems

So I am new to the forum and I just recently bought a 98 xj about a week ago, and all was good until three days after. When I bought the car everything was fine got new tires and an oil change the day after purchase.

So far I have had the alternator and starter both die, got a new waterpump by firestone (big mistake) and now I'm leaking from just about all the radiator hoses (taking it back) and now I just realized that I have a broken bolt that holds down the valve cover and the valve cover is leaking, out of no where just a few days ago, was not like this at ALL when I purchased it? Now I have noticed a small ticking at low rpms that sounds as though it is coming from the valvetrain (not 100%). I looked in the filler cap and inside looks pretty clean from what I can see. I've seen that this is normal in higher mileage 4.0s (mine has 180k). Then lastly my oil pressure gauge is fluctuating, around 9-10 psi idle and 30-45 psi at acceleration.

So my questions are is the valvetrain (I assume is where its coming from) anything to worry about? Was thinking of adding like 2 ounces seafoam and driving for 50 miles or so and then changing the oil (10w-30?) and then adding a quart of mmo to it and adding a mopar oil filter? I also just purchased a mechanical gauge for the oil pressure and I can't figure out how to get the DARN wiring harness off! From what I can tell there is no tab or clip on it?! And I plan on changing the vc gasket and pcv valve tube and breather on it myself (don't plan on going to a shop for a while after all this mess with firestone). And hopefully I can get the bolt out, I'm going to order a new one at the dealer and I believe I will need a new one of the metal inserts as well? I also bought a can for of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner I plan on running through it once I get all this other stuff done!

Okay I think that's it! Sorry its so much to read and thanks to all who give feedback!

antcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the dark side.
The oil pressure isn't horrible but definitely get that gauge in.
10w30 is fine.
valve cover leaks are a 4.0 favorite. Do not use soft foam or cork gaskets.
The noise. Is it a tick? How does it respond to rpms? It maybe an injector tick.
All in all you sound like you've got it headed in the right direction.
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It is a very mild tick that only happens after the car has gotten warm and it occurs around 800 - 1700 rpm and then after that if its still there then I can't hear it because of the sound of the engine over that. I have not had the chance to actually open the hood and listen to it when it occurs, but from inside it comes from middle of the dash area, so I assumed it was the valvetrain. If it was an injector, should I be worried? The car is sometimes hard to start (cold anyway), could the injector possibly cause that?

Thanks and as far as the gasket goes, I got the felpro which I saw pretty much everyone says to use on here!
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
mojog1

sell it and buy mine
mojog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel injectors make noise. Some louder than others. Just run some Lucas fuel treatment every so often. I do about every third tank. Ethanol sucks
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
scottspott99

might wanna spray tps cleaner ( throttle positioning sensor) can is like $5. make sure your upwind of the tailpipe ... lol
scottspott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottspott99 View Post
might wanna spray tps cleaner ( throttle positioning sensor) can is like $5. make sure your upwind of the tailpipe ... lol

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, I had my cousin take a look out at it and he ruled it down to the valvetrain. He said it was probably just a spring sticking because its so cold where we live at the moment and to just run thicker oil when its cold. Its a 2wd Cherokee Sport but he said that someone replaced the driveshaft with one from 4wd cherokee? So that will be next on my list is to get an original driveshaft, sort out my oil leaks, and put on a bangin new exhaust (my muffler has a hole in it )!
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

4wd driveshaft in a 2wd? I think its a bit too short to work. Maybe they mismatched between a manual and auto.
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
4wd driveshaft in a 2wd? I think its a bit too short to work. Maybe they mismatched between a manual and auto.
Yeah it is to short, but you can see where they added to it to make the gap between the driveshaft and transmission. Im also leaking a little trans fluid from that rear seal of the transmission. You can tell the previous owner(s) went off roading with it so I assume they maybe damaged the driveshaft and thats all they had to put on there, i dont know for sure.
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ouch.
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Exhaust leak tick?
landude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landude View Post
Exhaust leak tick?
No its most definitely valvetrain. It is also having low oil pressure after it gets warmed up and I'm at idle. So I think I am gonna try to run a thicker oil and see if it changes my pressure and ticking, if not then I'll try the sending unit or pump. Any ideas on that?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.