1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited cranks but wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited cranks but wont start

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Dottie

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited cranks but wont start

Hello, I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited with keyless entry. This past weekend I left the dome light on and therefore my battery went completely dead. I tried to jump start it with my husbands battery charger/booster. It cranks but no fire and the gas gauge wont come up like it usually does. When I turn the key over right before I try to crank the engine I can hear a click from the fuse box on the passenger side. It may have always done this but just now noticed this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appericated.

thank you,

Dottie

Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
XJH-007

Welcome to the forums Dottie!

If all was well before the battery went dead and now it's doing this, it's probably still a REALLY DEAD battery.

Charge it overnight, swap it out with a different vehicles battery, OR try using jumper cables. Low batteries/bad connections have been known to do really strange things.

The click you hear sounds like the fuel pump relay kicking or trying to kick on. The booster charger may have enough current to run the starter but may not have enough for the starter and fuel pump.

When the charger/booster is connected, and the key is in the 'run' position, the fuel gauge shows no fuel? (dumb question I know) Are you out of gas?

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
My1989Jeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Get a good battery first, charge it up or buy a new one. Once you do that check for spark. Take out one of the spark plug wires stick an old apark plus in it and hold it to the engine and have someone crank it. If no spark it might be the module or coil. If it has spark then disconnect the air filter hose from the throttle body and spray some carb cleaner in there, then have someone crank it, if it starts then fuel pump out.
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Dottie

Hello, thank you for your responses . The battery did charge, after the jeep failed to start it was put on slow charge and it shows that it is fully charged, and I just filled it up with gas the last time I drove it. The battery was fully charged and still no spark, cranks over well, but still no gauges work. Could the keyless entry have something to do with the problem?

thank you for your help

dOTTIE
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
My1989Jeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Check to see if you are getting power to the fuses inside the Jeep. Then check the spark on the spark plug wires, then check if you hear the fuel pump turn on. (Do this by turning the key to the on position but dont crank it. Have someone under the jeep near the tank see if they hear it.)
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The keyless system may be disabling start up. Close all the doors and hood, then fully lock and unlock the jeep with the remote. Now see if the Jeep'll start.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.