1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic wont start.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic wont start..

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
flipadelphia37

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic wont start..

So about 2 months ago, to get my jeep to start I had to move the gear shifter around. This continued to happen. I talked to some people and read about it probably being the neutral safety switch. Well I had yet to change it out. Today when I went to start the Jeep I just heard a very fast clicking noise and it didnt start. I had full power as far as radio and lights but it would not start. I immediately thought the neutral safety switch had final crapped out. I changed out the NSS in about 2 hours and now cannot get my jeep to start. I should have realized initially that the clicking noise was not the neutral safety switch. I turned the gear coming out of the motor block (turing the whole serpentine belt) to try and get the starter to catch and hopefully start the car. Still nothing except this time I was only getting one quick clicking noise. Im now again hearing the VERY fast clicking noise and nothing else. The starter is also brand new (only 4-5 months old). Any help would be great because I sure as hell dont want to take it in and pay an arm and a leg. Thanks guys...

flipadelphia37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Clean your battery terminals and connectors. Clicking means low voltage, fyi. If that does not fix it, Clean all of the engine grounds. If it still doesn't work, try another battery.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
96upcountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
Clean your battery terminals and connectors. Clicking means low voltage, fyi. If that does not fix it, Clean all of the engine grounds. If it still doesn't work, try another battery.
^^X2 What he said
[QUOTE=cruiser54;11297546]Looking at grounds doesn't count. You MUST remove, scrape, polish, clean and then reattach. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Unless of course, you have the ability to see electricity flow.............[/QUOTE]
96upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

These problems are relatively simple to diagnose, and it really helps if you have a meter and have a fundamental knowledge of how to use it.

Always start with removing battery cables, cleaning them and the battery posts until SHINY. Connections as mentioned by others, are often suspect. Then LOAD TEST the battery. It is the only accurate way of determining battery condition.

Okay, still doing it AFTER the above is verified? Get that meter. Buy one if you don't own one. Everybody that works on their XJ needs to own a meter. With the key in the on position, put the meter directly on the starter. You should have approximately full battery voltage there.

If you have full battery voltage at the starter, the problem is THE STARTER. Even if it is newer.

However, if you don't have full battery voltage at the starter, you have to start working your way back into the engine bay to find out why. Common causes include a bad cable, bad ground, connection, etc.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.