1998 Cherokee 4.0 l6, I changed the oil, now oil pressure gauge doesn't work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1998 Cherokee 4.0 l6, I changed the oil, now oil pressure gauge doesn't work?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1998 Cherokee 4.0 l6, I changed the oil, now oil pressure gauge doesn't work?

First off, oil change went fine.

When i first turned my 1998 Jeep Cherokee on, the oil pressure was about 10psi higher than usual.. didn't think much of it..

BUT I didn't know not to wrench tighten the oil filter so I loosened it and now oil pressure gauge doesn't move, and dashboard says check gauges...

Would I have knocked something out be the cause of the oil gauge not working?

I do not know what the previous oil was between 2006 and now (2006 was the last registered oil change, my dad had done it himself in between), so I used 5W-30 since it's the winter time. The previous sticker said 10W-30.

XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

MOre than likely you busted the Oil Pressure sensor that is attached to the filter adapter.

Very common occurance.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
MOre than likely you busted the Oil Pressure sensor that is attached to the filter adapter.

Very common occurance.
oh lord...Is this going to be hard to fix?

More importantly, do I honestly need my oil pressure gauge?
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
UKJeepThang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't be without my oil pressure guage.

It must be easy to fix the sensor as it's easy to get to. Having said that, I've never needed to fix/replace mine.
RE 4.5 inch superflex lift, RE GEN2 disconnects, 15x8 Crager 352's, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, 4.56 Diffs, Cut & Tap Short Shaft Conversion, CV Rear Prop, B&M Transmission Cooler and Gauge, Bushwackers Cut-Outs, Skid Row Armor, AJ's SuperRails, LeBaron Hood Vents, KargoMaster Rack, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters, Midland CB, Brantz Navigation
Loads a mud!!
UKJeepThang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Extremely easy. You either knocked the plug loose or cracked/damaged the connector on the sensor. If that's the case, just unscrew the sensor and replace it. Make sure it's not leaking, and you can run it without the oil pressure gauge until you can replace the sensor if need be.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's why you should fix it if it is damaged. Check it to see if it is leaking oil; a lot of times they won't when bumped but are damaged enough so that your oil pressure signal is interrupted.

However, leaving a damaged oil pressure sending unit is NOT ADVISED as if it does develop a leak and it very well could, you could have a serious oil leak creating low enough oil level to seriously damage your engine. Most people don't want to take that chance for a cheap easy repair.

These sending units are really pretty inexpensive. I recommend buying it directly from Jeep for best mating accuracy with your gauge. Will take you about 15 minutes to replace. I honestly would not delay in performing this repair.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a bit lost here, where exactly is this oil pressure sensor thing, and how do i check it to see if its broken or needs replacement?
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It is located DIRECTLY above your oil filter. And being in that location, it is sometimes damaged in the process of removing and installing a new oil filter during an oil change. There is a connector with a couple of wires plugged into it. Inspect this part very closely.
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's sticking out right above your oil filter. It has a wire connected to it, about the size of a spark plug. You probably had to work around it to change the filter, or you plowed right through it.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
It is located DIRECTLY above your oil filter. And being in that location, it is sometimes damaged in the process of removing and installing a new oil filter during an oil change. There is a connector with a couple of wires plugged into it. Inspect this part very closely.
I've gotcha, thanks everyone!

I'm hoping its just a matter of replugging a wire and being done with the issue.

Anyone have any comments on the oil pressure being up 10psi after a change?
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
It's sticking out right above your oil filter. It has a wire connected to it, about the size of a spark plug. You probably had to work around it to change the filter, or you plowed right through it.
LOL! That probably is what happened
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you knocked the connector off, lucky break; secure the connector and you should be good to go.

Per the factory service manual, the oil pressure for the 4.0 should be a minimum of 13 psi at HOT idle.
Above 1600 rpm, it should be somewhere between 37-75 psi.

Post your exact oil pressure numbers BEFORE AND AFTER the oil change for comment.
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure why your oil pressure would be higher after switching to a lighter weight oil. I would think it would go down a bit with thinner oil, but im not positive.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
If you knocked the connector off, lucky break; secure the connector and you should be good to go.

Per the factory service manual, the oil pressure for the 4.0 should be a minimum of 13 psi at HOT idle.
Above 1600 rpm, it should be somewhere between 37-75 psi.

Post your exact oil pressure numbers BEFORE AND AFTER the oil change for comment.
before it was pretty much right at 40-43 ..after it's at about 50..both atthe middle of the temparature guage ((I forget what the number is)..possible new issue though, after about 90-105 minutes in 45 degree weather, the temperature is showing at the first notch (again I forget what the numbers are ) when usually it would be cooled down all the way
Unread 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't be too concerned about those oil pressure numbers. Your main concern is that they are in the reasonable range and in spec and you are. Just keep an occasional eye on it......

As for your temperature issue, just like your oil pressure; the devil is in the details. Post exactly what you are seeing in as much detail as you can; I'm a bit confused by the description of the symptoms in your last post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.