1998 4.0l cherokee P1694 (no bus) No Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1998 4.0l cherokee P1694 (no bus) No Start

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
540itouring

1998 4.0l cherokee P1694 (no bus) No Start

Hi , I have a problem with a 97/98 4.0l in line 6 cyl model which will crank over but no spark or fuel pump opperation. I scaned the obd and came up with transmission 07000 i think and P1694 with is NO BUS. I do not know where the TCM modul is located but found the engine ecu under the bonet. The scanner also said that the MIL lamp is ON but the MIL does not light up on dash. The strange thig is that the VOLT METER on the dash does not read the battery voltage and can only here one relay behind glove box click when ignition is switched on. When ignition is switched on the ABS , milage display and some other red lights come on but after a shot time they all go out just leaving the milage display lit up. I think this is to do with a voltage supply missing but i have checked all fuses i can see in footwell and under bonet but are all ok. The CPS was looket at but onle has 1.7v on one pin and about 0.2 on the other pin so think the ecu is not doing much as the fuel injectors also have no power on them. Do these cars have any power cut outs for a crash or a shunt ? Do they not have a ignition lamp ?

I cleared the codes and the trans 07000 has gone just leaving P1694 . I could understand no BUS giving the error buy why no volt meter movement on the dash ?

Please can any info be supplied for this fault as i need the car for work . Thanks for all your help in advanve. Ps I have worked with electronics for over 30 years so know all about electronic testing etc. Do any of you have a wiring diagram you can email in pdf etc or tell me where i can get one please. Any help with many thanks.

540itouring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Dcrasta
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would suggest the CPS- I resisted this logic but then 30 bucks later I had a new CPS in and the problem went away.
Dcrasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
540itouring

I have checked for a CPS pulse and was not doing anything with a scope / meter but it only had a supply voltage to it of 1.7 vots. I read codes with the sensor disconected and also with the engine ecu disconected and had the same code P1694 so am sure this is not due to the CPS. The strange part is that the volt m,eter on the dash reads no voltage and i can also see no oil or ignition lights on the dash and the engine light does not come on . I can not find the companion module whatever that is or where the transmission (tcm) is located. If the ignition is switched on abs , airbag and another red light cames on but after a few seconds all that is lit is the milage display so you would not know the ignition was left on. This does not look normal to me and am sure this looks like a 12 volt suppy missing some where . Do these cars have a fuel injection cut out when in a accident ? as i could not find one. Where can i download or order a wiring diagram for this car ?
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Read through this link (and the links in it), or google this line- no bus odometer site:naxja.org

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...O+BUS+odometer

If you're sure your CKP is good, I'd strongly suspect the connections under the dash.
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540itouring View Post
.... The strange part is that the volt meter on the dash reads no voltage ....

Gauges read incorrectly and the engine cranks and cranks but never starts ? That is almost always the CPS.

The most likely cause of it cranks and cranks but won't start up is the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) located on the transmission bell housing. Often this part is also referred to as the CranKshaft Position Sensor (CKP) CPS/CKP failure is very common. The CPS/CKP can stop working with no warning or symptoms and the engine will not run or the engine may randomly stall for no apparent reason.

Crank Position Sensors can have intermittent “thermal failure”. This means that the CPS/CKP fails when engine gets hot, but works again (and will test as “good”) when it cools back down.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage or poor grounds and the ECM/ECU will behave oddly until you remedy this.

Symptoms –
- Starter cranks and cranks but engine won't start up and run.
- Fuel gauge and voltage gauges may not work or display properly.
- You sometimes will have No Bus on the odometer after 30-60 seconds.
- A failed CPS/CKP may or may not throw a CEL trouble code.
- No spark at the spark plugs.
- Fuel pump will run and prime for 3-5 seconds.

If the CPS/CKP is failed sometimes the OBDII code reader cannot make a connection to the computer or cannot read Check Engine Light/MIL codes because the CPS/CKP has failed.

Diagnostic steps to confirm the CPS is the cause of your no-start

You should be able to verify a bad cps, by unplugging it, and turning the ignition key to on. If the voltage gauge and/or the fuel gauge now displays correctly, replace the CPS.

Unplugging and reconnecting the CPS sensor where it connect to the main harness near the back of the intake manifold usually resets the ECU and if the jeep fires right up after doing this you can bet that the CPS is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Exchange the fuel pump relay and the ASD relay with one of the other similar ones in the PDC to eliminate the relays as the cause of the no-start Confirm that the fuel pump to runs for 3-5 seconds when you turn the ignition key to ON.

Eliminate the NSS as a cause of no start. Wiggle the shift lever at the same time you try to start. Put the transmission in Neutral and do the same. Do the reverse lights come on when the shifter is in Reverse?

Inspect the wires and wire connectors at the O2 sensors on the exhausts pipe. A short circuit from melted insulation or from broken O2 sensor wires can blow a fuse and the ECU/ECM will loose communication.

CPS Testing

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CPK)

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1 - Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2 - You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

The 2000 and 2001 will have the CPS in the same location on the bell housing, but the wire connector may be on the passenger side, not as shown in the diagram below. Simply follow the wire from the sensor to the connector.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 05-15-2010 at 08:50 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
540itouring

Hi ,just to update you . I removed the sensor and the fuel and volt guages came back to life . A new CPS was fitted and starts and runs ok now.

Thanks for all the members that helped with this problem
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks CJ7-Tim. Your write up saved me who knows how much time/money. Replaced the CPS and she fired right up!

Just moved to Duncannon, PA. Looking for some wheeling buddies/trails.
SGT_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Would the CPS cause the fuel pump NOT to prime/run for the 3 or so seconds? It seems like have a no power situation to the fuel pump and the gauge will not move or work when I turn the key on..
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Its funny how often the CPS is the culprit for many xj problems, it seems to be the weak link in the XJ.

Its also surprising that no one has made a cover or something to protect it from the elements better.
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Would the CPS cause the fuel pump NOT to prime/run for the 3 or so seconds? It seems like have a no power situation to the fuel pump and the gauge will not move or work when I turn the key on..
In the initial thread, he states no fuel pump operation and the new crank sensor fixed it.

I've seen it go both ways with a bad crank sensor. In some failure modes, the fuel pump might energize and in others, it doesn't. In both situations though, you won't get fuel TO the injectors.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
lbsbm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1998 cherokee cranks but no spark or gauges,has a p1694 code no engine bus. crank senser is good ecm good checked fuses cleaned all the grounds. could the tcm cause this problem?
lbsbm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received from the power train control module-Aisin transmission.

Possible Causes:
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.

Possible Causes:
When the CPS short circuits the engine computer (PCM) shuts down to prevent damage to itself. As a result, there is no communication (P1694).
Disconnect your crankshaft position sensor then put the ignition key in the on position. If the instrument cluster starts to work, once the CPS is disconnected, then you know it is shorted. You can verify this by testing the CPS with an ohmmeter.

Follow the directions and test the CPS. Inspect the wire harnesses for damaged wires, broken wires, or chafed/melted wire insulation.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Jaspani
2000 XJ Cherokee 

CJ7-Tim..............You Sir are a GENIUS!! Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into helping fellow Jeep lovers. I bought a 2nd hand cherokee and inherited the hell of sentry key/ no bus / no start etc. I followed your post on fault checking the CPS, it worked , the bloody CPS!! I unplugged it and all gauges suddenly returned to normal! I'll replace it tomorow. THANK YOU!!!

Jaspani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
99GCWJoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm having the same No Bus problem with my 2000 XJ. Here is the brief history:

Cranked for a few seconds before it started, became increasingly longer cranking time. Finally one day it wouldn't start and it gave me the No Bus error for the 1st time. I replaced the CPS and it started but still required a few seconds of cranking before it would start. As I've read in other posts, I replaced the fuel pump, sending unit, and filter to eliminate the check valve issue. No changes in starting behavior. Now it won't start again and is giving the No Bus on the odometer and the gauges won't respond. Unplugged the CPS, still no gauge response.

Any ideas??? Thoughts??? Computer???
99GCWJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GCWJoe View Post
...it won't start again and is giving the No Bus on the odometer and the gauges won't respond. Unplugged the CPS, still no gauge response.
The computer on very rare occasions can fail. There is no easy way to test it other than to try another PCM computer. If you have a Factory Service Manual, you can check the PCM for 5 volts output to the sensors. Replacing the computer should be your last step after you have completed a thorough testing and diagnostic inspecting of the all the sensors and the wire harnesses. The TPS, CTS, MAP, O2 sensors all share the CCD Bus and a fault in any sensor or in the wires can cause a no-bus/no-start.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage or poor grounds and the ECM/ECU will behave oddly until you remedy this.

Tags
cranks and cranks , No bus , no spark , no start , p1694

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.