1997 XJ rear turn signal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1997 XJ rear turn signal?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
XJandZJ

1997 XJ rear turn signal?

We're checking all the lights on the XJ the other day to prepare it for an inspection when I realized that the rear turn signals didn't work like they should. When I put on the left signal the left lights flashes but when I put it on to the right both rear lights will flash. They both flash very bright which would eliminate a ground problem?
The front signals are flashing like they should do, no problems there.

I know that they worked a year ago, but after that I have no idea. The switch behind the steering wheel sometimes needs to be pressed twice, could a faulty switch cause this problem?

What am I to do first?

Thanks!

XJandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When you say both flash do you mean left and right or do you mean both turn and brake?
The switch on top of the column is the hazard switch, what happens when you activate it? It has been known to cause issues turning it on an off several times usually clears the problem.

Regards,

Jim
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
XJandZJ

I mean both left and right. Today I tried it again and now it is acting a bit different, when I turn it on to either side that side will flash bright and the other side will flash very weak. It is the same for both left and right. Sometimes on the road when I turn on the signal it will just make a buzzing sound.

I will try to use the hazard lights 100 times or so!

The hazard lights works just fine!
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Fezwick
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Probably the turn signal switch. Something similar happened to mine where it would flash both rear turn signals but only one in the front. Swapped the turn signal switch out and everything is a-ok now.
Fezwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
XJandZJ

It turned out to be the switch as you said, new switch in and everything is fine so far!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.