1997 XJ Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1997 XJ Problems

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
JColee
1997 ZJ 

1997 XJ Problems

I'm posting this for a co-worker of mine, at his request.

He owns a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, occasionally when attempting to start the Jeep, it will fire up and then die after a few seconds. To get the Jeep to run, he has to give it gas, sometimes putting the pedal to the floor and someones holding it at varying degrees.

It doesn't always do this, the problem is intermittent. He has no check engine lights on, and the Jeep is fairly young mileage wise.

Any help is appreciated,

-Jake

JColee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColee View Post
..... occasionally when attempting to start the Jeep, it will fire up and then die after a few seconds. To get the Jeep to run, he has to give it gas, sometimes putting the pedal to the floor and someones holding it at varying degrees.

It doesn't always do this, the problem is intermittent.
These are the common symptoms of low battery voltage. Either the battery is bad, or the battery/starter/alternator wires need to be disconnected, inspected, cleaned at the contact points, and firmly re-connected.

Have the battery Load Tested at the auto parts store.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey Jake ... ditto Tim .. that's right on ... the jeeps are notorious for having random issues when the battery voltage is below the threshold used by the ecu and other components that need a reference .. you need to ensure 12-14V at all times under normal idle load .. then, delve into other issues you may have .. good luck!

fyi .. recently, on my 96, i had to replace both +/- battery terminal connectors because the original stock lead ones had hairline cracks in them, causing intermittent connection - specially when it got hotter and softer! - good electrical connection and voltage is key to solving many issues.
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the quick replies, I'd forgotten just how finnicky Jeeps were when it comes to the charging system.
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

My son-in-laws XJ had this problem before. i put a TPS in it and it was fixed. His transmission shift points were all messed up too. Had to get it going along about 3000 rpm before it would grab 2nd. TPS fixed that too.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
JColee
1997 ZJ 

My buddy was wondering about the TPS as well, would a faulty TPS throw a CEL? I relayed the information to him, tonight. He's going to get the charging system checked tomorrow, clean the terminals and inspect the positive and negative cables. I'm unsure if the problem started before or after he replaced the starter, but that may have triggered or bumped something as well.

I know on my ZJ, before replacing the starter, my problems with starting the vehicle were intermittent and erratic. I ended up replacing the battery and the starter. When upgrading my alternator recently to a 160amp Durango alternator, I had to jump the starter with a screw driver after the instillation. Pesky Jeeps. I have heard the acronym "Just Expect Electrical Problems".
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Always start any repairs with the basics: clean, inspect, test. Often, a faulty TPS does not throw a CEL. The TPS can be tested. Simply throwing new parts at an undiagnosed problem gets expensive quickly.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've had this problem as well. One huge issue with my Jeep has been the wiring. The passenger side electric window would not work. I moved the rubber boot that covers the wiring between the body and the drivers side door and half of the wires were cracked. They would work intermittently depending on how far I had the door opened. I spliced in some new wire and that worked. Then the battery was draining and like you said, it would fire up and then die. I noticed when opening the lift gate the lights would flicker. Again, removed the rubber cover and sure enough, cracked wires.

If it does in fact turn out that the battery is draining somehow, check the wiring in the hinges at all the doors.
SpecialK2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.