1997 Jeep Won't turn over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1997 Jeep Won't turn over

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Shayne1072

1997 Jeep Won't turn over

Okay so...

What we've done so far..

Ignition-New
Computer-New
Neutral- Checked
Security- Checked

The lights and all dash lights come on but the engine won't turn over. Went to the store, came back, next day it was just dead. At a loss

Shayne1072 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Be specific: 1) Does the starter engage and turn the engine over ? 2) Does the engine Fire up and run, a little bit, or not at all ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Shayne1072

Starter engages...the engine doesn't crank at all. Used a voltage tester, followed every wire around, nothing lose, nothing disconnected....no idea.
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Shayne1072

Youre like the Jeep God lol. I will try all of these in the morning. Thanks for the help!
Unread 10-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Shayne.....Gotta say I'm a bit confused here.

You mention that "the starter engages, but the engine doesn't crank at all". That is where the confusion comes in, as that is kind of a contradiction in terms.

By the way you describe it, it sounds like the engine does NOT turn over. Is this correct?

If that is the case, the problem could indeed be electrical (cables, battery, voltage drop, relays, etc) but this problem would not be related to the crank sensor.

The crank sensor would come into play if the engine turns over normally, but doesn't actually fire up/start.

Lets make sure we're all on the same page here so we can give you the most accurate help.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

X2

I was confused by that as well. If it cranks/turns over/starter engages all day you should test for spark/fuel. No spark or fuel your most likely culprit is the CKP. If all you get when you turn the key is 'click' it's what TJ mentioned.
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Shayne1072

NO crank....Turn the key and nadda.
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Shayne1072

When turning the key...the starter clicks you can hear it clear as day, but it "sounds" like there just isn't enough juice to turn it over. Starter is new by the way...Battery full charge. The dealer said that it doesn't sound like a Crank shaft sensor. I'm not even going to bother bringing it in because by the sounds of what i've read on the forums, the shops have no idea about Jeeps.
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, here is what I would do if it were my vehicle.

Get a multimeter. With the ignition key in the ON position, get a voltage measurement at the starter itself.

If the voltage at the starter isn't about the same as the battery itself, you are experiencing VOLTAGE DROP, due to a bad cable, connection, ground etc. somewhere between the engine bay/battery and the starter.

Start there. It is what a shop technician would do early in the troubleshooting process.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you just replaced the starter that's the first place I would look-double check the connections. Check your fuses/relays. Have your battery load tested so you'll know if your CCAs are high enough to start the Jeep.
Unread 10-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Shayne1072

Checking starter in the morning....
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Shayne1072

Starter tested fine. Side note that I JUST realized: no radio, no heat blower, no dash light, no whipers, no power to cig lighter. Fuse BOX checks fine. No idea with Jeep, first one.
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne1072 View Post
Starter tested fine. Side note that I JUST realized: no radio, no heat blower, no dash light, no whipers, no power to cig lighter. Fuse BOX checks fine. No idea with Jeep, first one.
You probably have a bad ground. Check the battery cables at BOTH ENDS for being clean and tight.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Shayne1072

If this helps anyone:

I now have dash lights and dome lights after messing with the relays. When I turn the headlights and dome lights on and turn the key, the lights "don't" dim at all. I'm thinking that there isn't power reaching the starter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.