1997 IOD fuse blowing when engine running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1997 IOD fuse blowing when engine running

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
joelmassey

1997 IOD fuse blowing when engine running

Bought 1997 Jeep Cherokee. It had been sitting for over 2 years. Had to replace fuel pump. Got it running and it runs good. Now the gauges, tach, radio and interior lights are not working. Before we got it running we noticed the gas gauge was working intermittently, now not at all. Also noticed when you put key in ignition with door open, there is no door chime. Found the IOD fuse under hood was blown. Replaced the fuse and everything started working. Turned key on and played with radio a bit then cranked the engine. About a second or two after cranking the engine the fuse blew again. Replaced the fuse and it blew after atarting engine again. What does this fuse power when the engine is running so I have an idea what direction to go in to find the problem? It would help if I could find a wiring diagram for this. THanks

joelmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
DonMeister
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm having the same problem... my IOD fuse keeps blowing, had the garage check it up, but they couldn't find the short. They said they'll have to pull apart the dashboard, but that means leaving the car with them for 2 days... oh why Jeep... Whyyyy!?
DonMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Mkonyn
2002 WJ 

The IDO controls (if yo have the options in your XJ): Cluster Illumination, Interior Lighting, Key Chime, Radio, Transmission Control Module (TCM) memory, and Underhood Lamp.

It's pretty much impossible to diag what could be causing the short without gettin down and dirty with the jeep.

The chime seems a good place to start, PO mightta bypassed it. Also, check the seatbelt beep thingy, over time they break "on", will constantly buzz/beep so people disable them, and the seatbelt beep registers when you start the engine.
Mkonyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
slipknot8900

Same problem here !!!! Uuuuurrrrrrggggg

So, mine's a 99 XJ 4.0L. same exact scenario. Though, the difference is... I could be driving, hit large speed bumps, and be okay... then a small crack in the road that doesn't even impact the suspension... then the fuse blows. the IOD 15 amp fuse. sometimes I can just replace it and go about my business, and no inncodent for days. Other times, when it blows, I cant even replace the fuse without it automatically blowing. Same results... no intrument cluster, radio, door lock, or overhead lights. I know that the other side of the fuse is grounding (multi meter tested) shaking wires around the jeep to cut the shorted connection, but I have gotten no where.... PLEASE HELP! ANYONE? ANY ANSWERS?!
slipknot8900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
rockntheXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 1998 Cherokee limited. Just had this issue happen this morning. Jeep worked perfect last night and all yesterday, got into the car this morning and a mile down the road noticed that none of my gauges worked nor did the radio. Spent most of the day searching the interior fuses they were all great. tonight i went out and looked for busted wires then stumbled upon the IOD fuse and realized it was blown. Put in an extra that came with the car and it blew immediately.

So far seems that the consensus is to tear apart the console and search for a short. Is this right?

Side note: I live in mass and during the last winter storm a few days before New Years my windshield wipers decided to malfunction on me, not recognizing the "Time" function, only being on and fast, or off, stopping dead in their tracks when turned to the off position, not finishing their rotation. And it was this morning, a day after this "Nemo"... (Don't shoot me I didnt name the storm) that this fuse blew. Don't know if the two are connected just some extra information.

'98 Black XJ Limited 90xxx
31" BFG All Terrain TKO
rockntheXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have no answer to the problem, but you can unplug the under-hood lamp (which is usually very corroded). You can also unplug the interior dome lamp from the fuse box. Look for a 3 wire plug with a pink wire at the very top of the fuse box. I have seen several dome lamps with corrosion and one with water inside. Drivers door wire harness short circuits are very common and can feed back voltage into the dome lights and the stereo system. The door wire harness can be temporarily unplugged to see if the IOD fuse stops blowing. I have also seen short circuits from the light bulbs in the floor shifter displays, both the trans and the T-case. It is also very common for the cargo area lamp to have melted components leading to a short circuit. It too can be unplugged.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

For those of you that have the IOD blow as soon as the engine is started may want to disconnect the transmission control module and see if it still blows when you start the engine. The TCM is tied into the TPS and as soon as the TPS fires up it sends a signal to the TCM.

As mentioned, the TCM is also powered by our little friend, the IOD (and fuse 11 in the JB - Fused Ignition Switch output, Start-Run)

Just a hunch.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
rockntheXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So its been a while, since i last posted. Several attempts at tearing apart the jeep to find the short in the jeep later i finally figured out what the problem was. So upon tearing most of the easy interior out (the ceiling, door panels, side panels and easy parts of the dash) I finally found my problem.

Rust had eaten its way through the rear panel behind my passenger side tire and allowed salt to get into the wiring harness for my tail light and corroded and melted the connections.

A quick two trips (I didn't notice the second harness until after replacing the first and still blowing fuses) and a little bit of work later I finally fixed the issue and have yet (only been two days) to blow the IOD again. Next week I will be fixing the hole in the side so I will not have to deal with corrosion for the near future. But just wanted to let people know that with enough tinkering, and tearing apart, electrical issues aren't the end of your jeep.

Thanks for all the help
torn-apart.jpeg

burn-1.jpeg

image.jpeg

finished.jpg

'98 Black XJ Limited 90xxx
31" BFG All Terrain TKO
rockntheXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.