Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

(1997) How would I convert idiot light gauges to needle gauges?

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Azzy 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Xj SE and I'm tired of not knowing what's going on under the hood. I have the gauges with the big 'idiot lights' with a gas gauge the size of my speedo. I would like to convert it to a cluster with a tach, engine temp, oil pressure, voltage meter etc. How would I go about doing that? could I just take a cluster from another jeep and plug it in???

Any and all help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#5 ·
i believe its plug and play. but youll need a new oil pressure sender and temp sender, ones meant for gauges.
That is actually incorrect on his 97. All you need is the 97-up gauge cluster. Remove your cluster, then plug in the new one. The pins are mounted to the dash and it merely plugs in. All of the sensors are the same for idiot lights and gauges. I just did this swap on my 97. Remember though that the odometer will be different as it will read the mileage of the jeep it came out of.

If you have any Q's, let me know

John

#3 ·
Yep, that sounds right to me.^^^

#14 ·
On the 94 you will have to swap the temp sender and oil pressure sender to the ones designed for gauges, other than that it is plug and play.

#17 ·
Different cluster, 1996 and previous have mechanical odometers, 97+ have digital. So basically, the only thing that may be right is the sensor replacement parts.

When you go to the parts store, they will have them listed as temp sensor (light)... that is the one you have. You need the one that is marked (gauge) or not marked in an additional way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.