1997 Cherokee questions-gauges, abs, etc? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1997 Cherokee questions-gauges, abs, etc?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
latenitenate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

1997 Cherokee questions-gauges, abs, etc?

Hey all,

New member who will be posting much more useful info shortly, but I had a couple questions.

First and foremost, I am aware that 97 was the year of the interior change for the Cherokee, among a few other things. That said-I noticed there are no indicators for actual temps of the engine, just a light. The same goes for the oil pressure and the voltage. This disappoints me and is it supposed to be this way? Is there a digital readout somewhere? I would really like to know what my temp is at, at the VERY least. I don't want to trust the idiot lights to alert me to a problem when it's probably already too late.

Also, I noticed that there is an ABS light on the dashboard cluster but it doesn't actually light. Were the same gauge panels installed on all jeeps, regardless of whether or not you had ABS? I took a look at the brakes and I see no place where ABS is on this machine, so I'm a bit confused as to why I can faintly see that little ABS area on the cluster. Someone set my mind at ease here? I really DO NOT want ABS.

Thanks folks and I look forward to getting this thing zombie proof with your help.

-Nate

latenitenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use the SEARCH feature and look for info on a cluster swap. You can easily install the full gauge cluster from junked Sport or Classic Cherokee.

The gauge cluster supports all options. If you do see the option light up, it is not installed. If you have ABS you will find the pump assembly next to the brake plumbing under the hood and you will have wires going to the ABS sensors on each wheel.

Check out these links also -
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/tech-faq-links-tsbs-89273/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cherokee-stock-specs-26256/

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
latenitenate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hey CJ7-Tim,

Thanks for the response and the info. I did see the second of those two links but not the first. Also, thanks for the wording to use during my search-I will check into that and go from there.

Much appreciated and I'll have pics and the beginnings of this Ch(j)eep project up soon!

-Nate
latenitenate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.