Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1997 Cherokee Fuel Tank Skid Plate Removal

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  macinmypocket 
#1 ·
Good afternoon! I've got my XJ up on jack stands, and have spent too much time getting all the super rusty bolts off the hitch/skid plate so I can get the tank off to replace the fuel pump. All the bolts are off now, but the right side of the skid plate is held in by bolts that are coming through the frame. Any idea how to get them off?

This is the bolt in question.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Mine just came off. I wonder if it's held on by rust. I just took my receiver & skid plate off to patch the subframe. The first time I took them off, I used a 18" 1/2 drive ratchet. This last time, I used an HF electric torque gun. None of the bolts were reverse threaded.

I still have the skid plate and receiver off if you would like me to snap a pic of the studs tomorrow.

#6 ·
dagr8tim said:
Mine just came off. I wonder if it's held on by rust. I just took my receiver & skid plate off to patch the subframe. The first time I took them off, I used a 18" 1/2 drive ratchet. This last time, I used an HF electric torque gun. None of the bolts were reverse threaded.

I still have the skid plate and receiver off if you would like me to snap a pic of the studs tomorrow.
If you could snap a picture, I'd appreciate it! I got the other bolts and nuts off with a breaker bar, 18mm sockets and occasionally an air impact gun, but there was so much rust that the impact would often get stuck.

As a side note, know anywhere but a dealer that sells the J bolts for the tank straps?

http://www.omix-ada.com/oreilly/productInfo.aspx?itemNo=S-J3240023

I think these may be them, but I'm having a difficult time confirming it.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Fury3 said:
I now remember, they were threaded normally. Also, I believe the stud end may accept a socket. I'm telling you, you if you live in the rust belt area you really have to heat the studs up to get them to turn, at least I had to.
I did notice an 8mm socket on the end of them, I bathed them in PB Blaster for a couple hours before trying to use that to remove them. I stripped one of the ends, and decided not to try the other one until I was able to get some mapp gas or something to heat it up. Since it was Sunday evening, my store options were severely limited. I'll try and get some tonight. I wonder if I may have any luck with heat and two nuts trying to get the stripped one off, or possibly lock jaws if it comes to that.

I do live in the salt belt. I knocked probably 4-6 lbs of rust off the hitch after removing it, which might give a little hint of how badly everything down there is rusted.

Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.