1996 XJ Faulty PCM Fixed (sort of) A/C issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 XJ Faulty PCM Fixed (sort of) A/C issue

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
JoeSo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1996 XJ Faulty PCM Fixed (sort of) A/C issue

Been lurking around the forum for months and owe everything I know about working on my Jeep between this forum and my shop manual. Thanks guys, your help really is appreciated.

96 XJ Classic recently began burning through fuel pumps, until eventually it wouldn't start at all even with brand new fuel pumps (would not prime). Narrowed it down finally to a faulty PCM. Replaced the PCM from a junker (98 XJ Sport, same engine/trans, w/ A/C) and it worked like a charm, fired right up and has been running (a bit crazy right at first) perfect ever since.

The only problem is the A/C no longer worked after replacing the PCM, and still does not work to this day. Still blows air like it did before but no cold and compressor will not click on, neither will the electric fan. Relays/fuses are good and A/C worked perfect before.

This appears to be obviously related to the "new" PCM, but I'd like your advice on how to proceed. Do I need to program or reset this PCM somehow? Anyway to avoid a costly trip to the stealership? Am I missing something obvious?

JoeSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

id start by jumping the low pressure switch, just to see if it will kick on. (engine running)

could also jump pin 87 and 30 on the a/c relay (engine running) to see if the a/c clutch is kicking in, this should also tell the fan to kick on.

with engine off, key out of ignition also try turning the electric fan blade to make sure it isnt seized up.

could all be coincidence with the pcm change. easier to check and make sure its working before you decide to mess with the pcm and trace pin outs
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
JoeSo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good call. I'll try jumping the relay tonight to be thorough. I did put a gauge to the a/c and it gave a reading of very high pressure- this may be what's keeping it from turning on, just need to find out why the high pressure.
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Good call. I'll try jumping the relay tonight to be thorough. I did put a gauge to the a/c and it gave a reading of very high pressure- this may be what's keeping it from turning on, just need to find out why the high pressure.
you really need to check pressure with it running, one side will be very high and other low.

start with making sure the compressor turns on first and work backwards from there
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
JoeSo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanTJ
start with making sure the compressor turns on first and work backwards from there
Jumped the pins on the ac relay, compressor and clutch would not click on. Any other way to check the compressor itself? What direction to head in now?
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Jumped the pins on the ac relay, compressor and clutch would not click on. Any other way to check the compressor itself? What direction to head in now?
Start by checking to see if you have 12V on one of the terminals to the pressure switch. If yes, then check for power at the clutch. If yes, then check for continuity at the clutch. If yes, then check for clutch air gap.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

AZ-Jeff said it correct, you can apply power directly from battery to the single wire coming off the connector of the the a/c and see if it clicks on, it not could be air gap problem, which is pretty common. sometimes you can get the a/c compressor clutch to work again by hitting it with a hammer.... (obviously not super hard to crack it...)

On a side note, i went through all you did and ended up replacing my a/c compressor with a Junkyard one that was $25.. now I am enjoying ice cold a/c in this 98 degree humid heat we have been having
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
JoeSo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff

Start by checking to see if you have 12V on one of the terminals to the pressure switch.
Got as far as the pressure switch, just over 1 volt with the ac on. What would this indicate?

Hopefully this is a junkyard fix, the junkyard PCM I found that got it running was only $20!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.